• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First time out

Well, after buying my first kayak this winter I finally got out in it today. Fished for the last 3 hours of daylight. I have plans to build a storage/rod holding unit, as well as a few other things, but figured I would just get it out and see how it goes and what practical upgrades could be made.

Found the crappies moved in along woody/rocky shorelines with access to deeper water. Landed about 40 fish, and one bonus bass. Mostly males but some females, nothing huge but pretty much all nice keeper size fish. Kept a half dozen males for dinner and the rest went back in.

Lessons

#1- Don't forget the seat...yep enough said.

Will be building my removable storage/rod holder before my next trip for convenient access to equipment and safe storage for all sorts of things. Before today I purchased a small pelican case that clips onto my kayak for safe storage of phone and keys and gives me easy access to the phone for pics. I also purchased a generic dash phone/gps mount that works as a nice suction on phone/camera mount. Still working on the logistics of that but it worked out okay.

I've fished kayaks before but this was my first time out in MY kayak. Definitely glad I made the purchase.

full-178-55433-kayak.jpg

full-178-55434-kayak2.jpg

full-178-55440-kayak4.jpg

looks like a trident/prowler 13? I'm guessing you're talking about adding the modpod storage in the middle fi you don't have it already? It's fantastic....

If you don't have them, i'd recommend the following:

-black milk crate in the back

-that perfectly-sized plano with the rubber seal. it's wonderful

-anchor

-mount the finder under the hatch, or strap to it. I use a humminbird with the trident-compatible transducer

It's a fantastic yak to paddle and pole around in standing up. You made a great purchase.