• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The garden asparagus has been up for about ten days so the road ditch stuff should be emerging before long. It seems to always be a couple weeks behind. I think this is because the garden soil warms up quicker than sod.

I find it in ditches,and along fence rows, The stuff I got last yesterday was in a tree row close to our house. I usually mark the spots later in the year when it goes to full bloom and then go back to those spots in the spring. Once you locate it, check back in the spring. They say it can grow up to 10" a day.

Below is a picture of it after it blooms, it sticks out pretty good. You'll see it all over once it gets to this point.

full-14614-55451-asparagus_officinallis_

we drive around country roads looking in grassy roadbanks and ditches

look for taller shoots or few spears that have gone to seed to find the bed

best way to find a bed is after its all gone to seed so its easier to see and remember those places for next year

we have several spots we always hit. once you find some good beds they usually produce for quite a few years

just hope no one else sees the path beaten down to your honey hole grin

had my favorite spring meal last night - grilled asparagus, grilled wild turkey breast and fresh morel mushrooms wink