• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wisconsin lake

M1dwestF1sh

So plans changed at the last second this year for WI opener. I was wondering what you guys think are the best bass lakes relitivly close to the twin cities. I had plans and lakes picked out to fish but like I said those plans changed so I'm looking for an opportunity to get on some different and possibly better lakes. This weekend should be a great opener with the temps getting close to 80 I expect the fish to be moving up and feeding. If you guys know of any good bass lakes please let me know! This is last second but I'm hoping for a couple answers. Thank you anybody that helps!

There's only a few lakes in St. Croix county, and I've never really fished them. I know they are drawing down Little Falls Lake, so don't go there. Just about all of the larger lakes in Polk County are good bass lakes. Deer and Cedar (although Cedar is one of the few lakes with smallies) are probably the only 2 I would avoid. Balsam and Wapogasset have high numbers with a few large fish mixed in. If you go there expect a lot of action. Tourney guys would have to do a lot of sorting out there.

Just pick one that the lake map best suits the style of fishing you'd like to try this weekend. Other than the few misses I listed, you should do quite well.

I've pretty much given up on western WI bass fishing because of the poor size structure - tons of 12-14" fish, but Round by Luck might be worth a try. Check out some WI tourny results.

rascal

Thanks for the responses guys. Today was a great opener. The weather was nice out all day, if anything it got pretty hot out. It took maybe 15 minutes for me to catch the first few fish and pattern them out. Was able to fish about 4 different presentations and all produced fish. A ton of 12-14 inch fish like you said but managed 1 19" fish and another around that size came off and at the end off the day broke the 20" mark with a nice 5lb fish. Wish I could figure out how to upload pics from my phone! I hope tomorrow goes this good!

My thumbs and my shadow rap are sore after this weekend! Today at wapogasset and balsam I caught countless 14" bass like you guys mentioned. Overall I had a good weekend in wisconsin but I'm ready for mn opener. Thanks again for the help guys!