• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buzzbaits in the spring?

bassfshin24

When does everyone start throwing buzzbaits in the spring? With temps the way they are topwater season is going to be coming up real quick. I know in the fall I tend to throw buzzbaits all the way down into the low 50's for water temp. Just wondering if anyone is going to start throwing them when opener hits. I was on a small lake crappie fishing yesterday and saw tons and tons of bass in the shallows and even some some chasing gills on top of the water. I'm thinking I might have to have one tied on for opener.

Within the past couple of weeks I read an article somewhere online about using buzzbaits early in the year. I think it was by Greg Hackney, but I could easily be wrong. In 2009 on Bass Opener I was getting my clock cleaned by a buddy throwing a Mann's Buzzbait until a pike took it.

I used them at the opener when it was at the end of May...

If I'm gonna throw a topwater when the water hasn't hit 60 yet, I prefer to use something that I can fish a little slower. There is something special about catching them on buzzbaits though.

I'm sure fished over emerging weeds and lily pads they would work on opener. Especially if we get a stretch of warm days. I saw the same thing two weeks ago. Panfish swirling on top and every once in a while a big swirl and smack as a few got eaten by a bass or pike!

Well tried out the buzzbait on the river yesterday and had one blow up but missed it. Was really excited because it happened in the first 5 minutes so I was thinking it was on...none the rest of the day haha.

I have found that I have much better luck when I use a Norman triwing buzzbait. The triple blade allows you to retrieve much slower while still keeping the lure on the surface......The Norman buzzbait has a bit smaller profile that is mostly weedless....I've been using the same model for more than 30 years and have tried many others but, wind up back to the Norman lure.