• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line question for flathead/channel cat/sturgeon reel

esoxrocks01

A month ago, I purchased an Abu Garcia Revo Toro NaCI from the sportshow. Now that I got the reel, I need help figuring out what kind of pound test I need. I'm using it primarily for big flatheads, channels, and sturgeon. Can anyone help me out with that? I'll also need help with figuring out what kind of leader I need, mono or fluro? I've already got 30 lb. mono, so if I need to upgrade, I will. Thank you.

i personally run #65-80 braid. quite often im runnin #80 powerpro or suffix

i also recommend a HiViz line makes it easier to see them at nite.

as for leaders, technically you can just use your mainline. alot of catters i know just cut off 10"-18" of the mainline for leader.

myself i like to have a mono leader for absorbing the initial shock of runs and more abrasion resistant.

i carry #50-80 leaders spools either Berkeley or Ande. lately ive been running more #80

your rod will wrk and not a bad rod by any means but i would prefer the Tiger series or Heavy action rod but still have sum tip action. esp with light bitting sturggies

hope this helps

+1 on what Special said. Any braid in the 65 to 80 lb will work, and it'll last several years (versus mono getting too much memory after a single season). I just use the same line for leader, but mono works well too. Don't be afraid of color, they won't notice or care.

Thanks guys. I already have moss-green powerpro line for muskies I could use, and I'll see if I can't use that same spool to use for mainline and leader. If need be, I'll buy hi-viz line for mono leaders.

If you rig like most cat fishermen then definitely go with a mono leader in a test less than your main line. That way if you get hung up you can snap the mono leader and just lose your hook vs. breaking off your entire rig. If you're like me you use no-roll sinkers. Those things are pricey. Plus it's a heck of a lot easier to re-tie just a leader and hook vs the entire rig. Personally, I use 80# braid mainline and 40-50# mono leader. 30# will probably be fine too if that's what you already have. Just be sure to check your leader often for nicks and such.

I’ve never been a real big fan of mono mainline or leader with the great braids that are available to us today. My biggest beef with mono is just that its hard to work with and tie knots, which can sometimes result in knot failure or the tag end slipping. I find it much more convenient to just use a 12” section of my mainline to tie the leader. This way I’m confident in the line strength and my knot. Matched with the proper drag setting and action rod, you really don’t need to worry about shock or stretch. The one place mono will outperform braid is in sharp rocky areas or concrete or manmade rubble. This can be mostly eliminated by using a larger diameter braid like 80-100lb. I’ve found that 80lb braid works for just about everything our cat waters can toss at us here in MN. . If you are worried about saving your sinker when you get hung up, you could always just run a short dropper of smaller braid or mono. That might not work with No Rolls as they need to be inline, but that is just one of a few reasons I don’t like to use No Rolls and wouldn’t recommend them.

Darren,

brought up a good point. with the bigger mono leaders, tying knots can be a lil tricky. sumtimes its hard to get the doubled section of a P-knot through the eyelet of sum hooks. at sumtimes i use a Uniknot instead. with mono/fluro make sure to wet the knot good