Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deadeye

Quantum spinning reels

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the new quantum catalyst PTi, and kinetic PTi spinning reels. I think that they are the ones with the hot sauce lube that I have heard so much about. I have a couple of the ACS baitcasters and I love them so I was wondering if anyone has anything to say about those spinning reels. I usally use Fin-Nor spinning reels but I want to expand my collection. wink.gif thanks for any info!
><>deadeye

[This message has been edited by deadeye (edited 02-28-2003).]

my son bought one this winter. we got out to play with it a week ago.( a little river fishing) he got the catalist. i have shamonos, and pinn. dead bolts. the pt is VERY smooth. it turns so easily that it almost feels unbalanced. ( trust me it isn't) he got the 30 and we put it on a 7 ft med Bass pro bionic blade rod. this made a very well balanced set up. i am interested to see how the bail stands up. so far i am very impressed with it. del

Thanks for the feedback! I haven't got to play with one of the quantums yet because none of the stores I have been to have them. I am going to cabelas so I might end up getting one.
catfish, I am always looking for something new to try. Every year I get one nice combo and since I have three of the fin-nor setups now it is time for something different. Don't get me wrong, my fin-nor's have been better to me than anything else I have had but I jsut want to have a reason to get a new setup. you know how it is!
><>deadeye

i have had a pt20 catalyst since last fall.
i do like the reel and 1 of the main feature's i like is the spool size...
the 20's take 140 yds of 6lb so you do not get the coils like some other reels... plus 2 aluminum spools... have 4lb /1lb dia. fireline on 1 and 8lb mono and the other for ice fishing right now... the fireline can get hung on the roller at times but very seldom... have had no problems down to -35 as of yet.... the drag is smooth and consistent and the bail spring can be bent right out of shape and snaps back...
the kinetic is a nice reel also with the 6 bearings and this will be my next reel but in the pt 10 size....
i also jig with a fin nor megalite 1000 that is a nice reel but it will now be my rigging reel.... try the pt's you will not be disappointed... no more symtyre's for me
here's a link to some tackle critics that have a report on the pt reels
http://www.tackletour.com/