• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

getting kids hooked in the metro

LoonState

Looking to take a 6 and 11 year old fishing. Where do you guys think would keep them most interested in the metro area? Im used to going out in a boat but do not have one myself to take them out in.. Not trying steal or take spots!(Everything caught will be released!!) Just trying to get kids into fishing who otherwise would have no interest in it!!! Smaller metro lakes with fishing piers would be great. I have done some research but everyplace i have been to has been choked with weeds last year.. Just looking for maybe a heads up on a decent lake with a peir or spot of shore line where we can cast a line and not pull in a pound of weeds and catch maybe a crappie or blue gill or a bull head! As long as some kind of fish is on the other end i could care less!! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you!!

If you think the kids would be more willing to catch bigger fish as opposed to potato chip sunnies one after the other, I would go to the st. croix river. There are numerous spots to fish from shore. Your guaranteed to catch sheepshead and redhorse. And you can catch countless "bonus" fish like catfish, sturgeon, walleye, white bass, carp, smallmouth bass, turtles, etc.

The boom site, north of Stillwater (not the boat launch) is an ok spot, but there are lot's of people down there hanging out. William O'Brien state park has some spots, but I've never considered them very good. Copas boat launch is pretty good. The access at the Osceola bridge has a good stretch of shoreline to fish. Franconia boat launch probably offers the best shore fishing.

If you don't think it's too far away, I'd recommend Lake Independence. It's a decent lake to fish, even from their fishing piers. Kids tend to need variety, and Baker Park also has beaches to swim, lots of playgrounds and plenty of picnic tables with grills. It also has some great bike/roller blade paths, if they're into that.

You can basically make a whole day of it - or a weekend if you want to camp. Fishing may not be the sole focus of your day, but they would have a lot of fun and would likely ask to "go fishing" again, even if that doesn't really mean fishing.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. I have fished the osceola and franconia spots as i used to live in Lindstrom.. Never really produced much for me tho. I always had a problem with all the canoes coming down river. Biggest thing i ever caught was a person that flipped their canoe into my line and got tangled up in my gear lol. Have not tried the st croix by the boom site but have heard alot about the area. And lake independence is a long haul for us.I know quite a bit about river fishing as i grew up in saint paul and shore fished pool 2 almost every day for a number of years but shore fishing has changed alot around st paul over the years. It seems like there is less fish and more sketchy people down there. If i don't feel comfortable down there by myself i really don't want to bring kids with me. I was more looking for lakes and after a little more digging on the dnr site i think we might try beaver lake off hwy 94 this weekend. Again thanks for all the ideas guys, this is just one reason i love this site. Other sportsmen willing to share info and ideas. Thanks again guys i will let ya know how we do this weekend.