• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Cat ATV

givetoget

Thinking of buying a leftover cat. It would either be a 500 or 550xt. in looking at specs the 500cc is 443 and the 550 is 445cc. isnt that more like compairing a 450 and 550. any thoughts or explanations on this. Also any thoughts on this brand and size. Is the power steering modles worth the extra money.

Do not know a lot about them. First time buying a 4x4 so any help, thoughts, tips, ideas would be much appreciated.

Don't know anything about the Cats, but I do know that after riding a couple atvs with power steering, that if I was getting another, especially a new one, I would FOR SURE get power steering smile

Kind of like reverse on a sled - you don't NEED it, but sure is nice!

Is the power steering modles worth the extra money.

I dont have any good seat time on a Artic Cat but any other quad that I have ridden with PS was awesome. It works as a great steering stabilizer to keep the bars from getting ripped out of your hands and I also find that its not as hard on the body after a full day of riding

The 550 is one of the engine models made in St Cloud MN. I would definitely opt for the power steering. The nice thing about AC's power steering is you don't have to have it running, just the key on and the power steering is active. This is nice when moving it around in the garage or trailer, etc.

I have a 2007 650 TRV as does my dad. He has 56,000 miles on his. The 650 is the same basic engine as the 550 just a smaller cylinder and it has EFI. Its tough as nails!

AC ATV have traditionally been more utilitarian than higher speed trail riding. They will haul anything you can imagine, but may not handle as well in tight riding areas or high speed trail riding. They have tons of ground clearance and suspension travel but stock tires (heck, all stock tires on almost all ATV's are junk) are not very good and contribute to the poorer handling because of the softer sidewalls.

I use mine for pulling a otter fish house and have an auger mount on the front rack. I can go through amazing amounts of snow with it and my buddy just gets buried on his Honda.

The clutch system on the AC ATV's is different than Polaris. It may look similar to that of a snowmobile if you are familiar to that, but there is a wet clutch which basically means the clutches are always engaged on the ATV whereas on a snowmobile they are RPM sensing and engage as you rev it up. The Polaris ATVs are this way. Downfalls of this type of system is belt life and slippage. It probably isn't a huge problem for most people, but for some it is. My dad has reached over 20,000 miles on a belt and only changed it because he felt he should not because of a performance issue.

i bought a 450 AC this past winter, my first ATV that i've owned, using mainly for ice fishing, I always wanted a honda, but couldnt afford a used honda vs a brand new AC. i've read all great reviews on the AC's, you'll be happy with it. and i believe the 500's and up have the locking front differential.

in looking at specs the 500cc is 443 and the 550 is 445cc.

Respective displacements are 443cc and 545cc.

It's a marketing thing when they're referring to a 450 class machine as a 500. IMO, false advertising.

Polaris is reluctant to release their displacement on their Sportsman ETX. Speculation says because they don't want to scare people away by calling it a "300" or a "325". They are more than happy to let everyone know that it does have 30 hp though.