• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance or Garmin

Gofishleech

Question

11 answers to this question

Lowrance's CS has improved as we have dealt with them a couple of times in the last 2-3 months.We're putting an Elite 5 HD on the bow & have a older MK PD TM.Had some questions on the different transducers also.

Garmin Panoptix all seeing sonar

it's an investment but it looks like a game changer for the industry.

Garmin is making a big push took catch the inland fishing sector.

I love my Garmin sonar that I have for 8 years now never had a problem with it. Verry easy to use the screen is bright and vibrant. With the new tech garmin is coming out with I'll be upgrading with more features. So many models to choose from and garmin it so easy for networking.

Garmin Panoptix all seeing sonar

it's an investment but it looks like a game changer for the industry.

Garmin is making a big push took catch the inland fishing sector.

I love my Garmin sonar that I have for 8 years now never had a problem with it. Verry easy to use the screen is bright and vibrant. With the new tech garmin is coming out with I'll be upgrading with more features. So many models to choose from and garmin it so easy for networking.

Exciting times for electronics for sure. That is pretty dang sweet. Its like showing real time "flasher" in a graph form.

Humminbird and Lowrance offer imaging already that is similar to this, but not quite to this instantaneous view. Impressive. Both of those solutions require the trolling motor to "pan" to paint the image. This is certainly taking it another level.

Regarding the networking of units though, what makes it "easier" than say a Lowrance? Connect an Ethernet cable and you are essentially done. If you want more intrinsic data and interface to your outboard or radar, etc then you need to set up a NMEA 2000 network with Lowrance. Isnt it the same for Garmin?

Just relaying my experiences with Garmin, I dont have enough experience with other manufacturers to critique them.
I get that, but I wanted to know what makes it so easy? Is it just using an Ethernet cable or ??? I was just curious how their system worked is all. I think the HDS system is easy, but that's all I have used.

Looks like they are similar systems. Plug and play aproach to make things simple. Though I'm sure with most companies one can get prety elaberate set ups going with the black box system but that's above my pay scale.

Looks like they are similar systems. Plug and play aproach to make things simple. Though I'm sure with most companies one can get prety elaberate set ups going with the black box system but that's above my pay scale.

:-)

I hear ya. I like how you can "pay as you go" type of thing though. You can add what you want over time. You don't have to buy all that stuff up front. Example, I bought the Ethernet cable immediately which worked great. This year I bought the NMEA 2000 backbone so I can control my Motorguide xi5 trolling motor from my HDS units. Pretty slick. Now, if I want engine interfaces, satellite radio, etc I just buy a T connector and a short extension cable for each device. You can go as elaborate or as simple as you want. Sounds like Garmin is this exact way. In fact I was reading just yesterday that if you purchase the "Garmin" NMEA cables they are cheaper than the "Lowrance" ones and they work with either device. Kind of irritating but nice to know in case I want to get one of those fancy Garmin Panoptix thingies in the future. That technology is truly game changing IMO. Still VERY pricey though. $1500 just for the transducer.

How do you like the Xi5. Also looking into upgraging the trolling motor. I see the Garmin units are compatible with Motorguide and Minnkota. Not sure of how they connect yet but probably nmea. These companies sure dont cover all the bases on their products without a lot of digging.

Sure would be nice if there was a marine electronics store that was well versed in all the brands on the market.

I absolutely LOVE my xi5. With the Pinpoint GPS it is awesome. I had MinnKota before and was happy with them, but since they were not integrating with Lowrance like they did with Humminbird I made the switch.

The xi5 actually has a much lower peak AMP draw than a comparable Terrova which is big when fishing long days or when I spend a week on Lake of the Woods camping with no electric hookup.

The features I use the most are anchor mode, course lock and cruise control. Terrova has similar features as well.

As far as connecting to your Garmin, the xi5 comes already included with a Lowrance sonar adapter on it. I would imagine you have to get a different adapter to work with Garmin though. Aside from that if you want to control the trolling motor from your unit then it requires the NMEA network which I just finished installing this Spring. Havent tried that part out yet. I have to upgrade to SW version 3.5 on my Lowrance units first in order for these features to be activated.

I have posted quite lengthy comments here on the xi5 previously. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.