• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

At the bottom of the jar. I'm thinking I went to heavy on this latest batch (still learning) but I'm all out of sap to thin it out. I guess I could tap again. But is this a taboo. Can I give this syrup to people or will they scoff and dump it out in front of me? Ha. Any advice. Shake it up? Dump the top layer minus the crystals out into a new jar? Thanks to any input from you vets.

You can thin with distilled water and boil again.

Are you checking with a hydrometer? This is the foolproof way to make sure you are at the proper brix reading.

When you can it, try to get it between 185-190. Any more any you'll probably get crystals again.

What are you using to filter?

My first batch no sugar crystals. I was using coffee filters in a strainer (many of them) and brought it to where it was about to boil over and then turned it off. Second batch with crystals I made I used a hydrometer I bought. BUT, I didn't check to see if the temp was 211 as it says on it. Duh. Just kept going til it floated at the red line on the hot setting. For that to filter toward the end, I used an orion cloth bag with a prefilter in it. But I strained it when I had boiled about 60 gallons down to 2-3. Strained a lot of stuff out then. But didn't filter again because it looked really clear.

I would not get too worried about the 211 degree reading. By the time you get the hot syrup in the test cup and get a stable reading the temp has dropped several degrees.

When I finish a batch, they are usually between 2 and 7 gallons, depending upon how much sap I had on hand. I filter through the prefilters and an orlon bag also.

When I get to the very end, the filters are usually starting to clog. I will take the last quart or two left and not filter it at all. I'll pour that into jars and let it sit in the fridge for a couple days. The sugar settles to the bottom and I pour off the clear into another jar and use that stuff first.

Thanks everyone for the replies. So if poured the syrup now into new jars and left the crystals or most behind, that will not affect the quality of the flavor? I'm wondering if I should do that versus leaving as is. Or trying to reboil, etc. Or just leave as is and explain to people I share with that's totally fine and those are just sugar crystals on bottom and be dang happy I am sharing.

Yep. If the taste is good, pour them all into a larger glass jar and let sit for a day our two and pour off the clear. If you want to jar and seal again, heat to 185 and re-jar...Dont go over 190 or you'll get some crystals again.

Thanks. I made a lot for ourselves, family and friends as I didn't really know how much I would get. I have a dozen half pint jars and 8 pint jars from this second and final batch. So I have some pouring off to do. Still tastes good. I haven't been canning it. Just putting into jars and then into fridge. Been experimenting with freezing and thawing an earlier batch as I read that's a good long term storage method. It doesn't really freeze so I must have made it right according to some articles. Just slows down a bit. Thanks for all the help!

Thanks. I made a lot for ourselves, family and friends as I didn't really know how much I would get. I have a dozen half pint jars and 8 pint jars from this second and final batch. So I have some pouring off to do. Still tastes good. I haven't been canning it. Just putting into jars and then into fridge. Been experimenting with freezing and thawing an earlier batch as I read that's a good long term storage method. It doesn't really freeze so I must have made it right according to some articles. Just slows down a bit. Thanks for all the help!

I put some maple syrup in the refrigerator for a fair amount of time. It ended up with big crystals in the bottom of the bottle.