• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Let the Countdown Begin!

RuddyDuck

Can't wait, only 30 days and counting to the MN Bass opener. It will be nice not having to wait the extra two weeks. This will also be the first Bass opener where Mother's Day comes into play. Everyone else ready for the early opener?

This week is reel cleaning week. Tackle Box sorting has been going on for the last month or so.

Also have to figure out what lake to hit, since some may be pretty busy cause of the eye opener. Might stay away from the eye lakes.

Cleaning reels tonight too. Got most of my tackle organized already. Might pick up a couple more rods but as of now I'm almost ready to go. That thing about walleye lakes is a good point. I was planning on some mille lacs smallies but I'm not sure, I'd like to get into some largemouth.

Sure rub it in! Nice Bass! I wish the river was closer, but just don't get down that way and don't know it. Or they should just open the upper part to c&r all year long too!

Wouldn't think Mille lacs would be too busy, but I suppose there would be some traffic still. The biggest issue around here are the landings aren't that big and on opener they fill up by 5am on the popular lakes. Luckily there are plenty of none eye lakes around. Only 29 days to go now.

Quit showing me those fish!! smile

Ok, things are getting serious now, less than 2 weeks to go! Boat runs, lures have been sorted several times, the reels are clean and the Hydrowave is tuned(jk). Just have to string up the reels. Hopefully the weather will be nice, that would stink if it was pouring out that day!

Only 4 days to go now boys and girls! Start your engines.

The forecast looks okay, maybe a bit on the cool side. Mid 40's for lows and mid 60's for the high. At least there is no rain in the forecast for the day.

Any guesses for what pattern the fish will be in?

I'm sure you do, it is a Flip-n-Swim in New gill. The skirt is just a little thin cause I had some success with it last year!

I use a few different ones, Havoc's Fatty Craws and Rocket Craws(I pinch the antennas off) and Cabelas Swimming Craw(It's the same as a BigBites/NetBait Craw) are my Favorites.

So, let's hear it...

My son and I had a great day Saturday - ended up with 35-40 bass, mostly largemouths with a smallie mixed in here and there. No giants (19" was biggest, one of each species) but most fish were 15-17" - not many peanuts at all.

Caught the majority on swim jigs in old rush beds, also caught a few here and there pitching a Texas rigged beaver.

Day started out slow, and it was definitely cold-fronty (was 32 degrees when I got up Saturday AM) so early on I caught a few fish on some cabbage beds outside the rushes, but when the sun finally came out fish gradually started to filter in to the rushes, and we had a pretty steady stream of new fish throughout the afternoon. We kind of had a milk run of beds we'd cycle through, and you'd pick up a few new fish every time through.

Water temps were in the mid to high 50s, which, ironically, is pretty close to what we typically have for the normal opener a lot of years. Still, weed development was definitely less than what I'd see later in the spring. If I'd been along I might have spent more time finding and fishing last year's cabbage beds that were still green and maybe would have found some bigger fish, but with a 9-year old it's hard to stop catching, especially when there were lots of pike to keep him busy between bass.

My 9 year old, by the way, was a machine Saturday. We got out at 8 AM, and throughout the day I kept asking him if he wanted to go back to the cabin, and he kept saying no. He took some breaks, but he was still at it when we got off the lake at 8 PM after an evening fishing walleyes. I have him set up with a 6'10" MH casting rod and a little Shimano Scorpion with 40# braid, and he was slinging swim jigs all day. He backlashed once all day. Even had him running the bow mount through a few of the rush beds. It was pretty cool.

Tell you what, the early bass opener was a major plus this weekend. Walleyes were really 'off' and being able to go catch a bunch of bass saved what could have been a pretty dull 'opener.'