• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Paver or concrete driveway

echotrail

I'm looking into replacing my 39 year old concrete driveway this spring or summer and I'm considering using pavers vs. concrete. I found a site that gives a price per sq. ft. based on your zip code, but the price range was $10 - $50 making it hard to budget.

Has anyone had any experience with paver vs. concrete cost estimates in the TC area. It's a two car driveway and I'm not looking for fancy patterns to be laid down. I'm probably have an area of 500 sq. ft. but have not measured it yet. It won't be DIY job.

Thanks

Concrete is easier to clean the snow off in the winter. My buddy was a concrete finisher too, he did a Exposed Aggregate drive and hated it for that reason. The pavers sure look nice tho. If you go with colored concrete, have the color mixed in, that way if there are any rock pops the color will be the same. Have your guys bid it with half inch rebar 2 foot on center each way and with just roll mesh. I would recommend rebar and 5 inch thick, no more than 10 foot square saw joints, and you should have no problems. Any cracks that are outside of the control joints stay tight.

Rockn Randy

If you get some pretty pavers, the salt from your car in the winter will eat right thru them and they won't stay pretty. A friend, who is experienced at this, helped me with a couple paver patios. They look real nice. He then did his driveway the same way and his driveway no longer looks nice due to the salt eating through some of them.

Pavers are concrete but at least if you go with just plain concrete, a little pitting won't be that noticeable.

A quote from last summer was $18/ft for brick (not concrete) pavers, installed. $7.10 for high test 4,500# 4 inch thick, granite rock mix concrete with 3/8 rebar 3ft OC. Quotes did not include rough grading.

Concrete. Way easier to plow. My parents have a gravel driveway WORST THING EVER! Impossible to snow blow because of all the rocks always wet and muddy. Sure it's cheaper but in the long it's not worth the cheaper price. 

Edited by AlwaysFishing23

I know people will say if it is done right, pavers will NOT sink... but I have yet to see a paver driveway that does not have sunken tire ruts, if even just a little bit. We had one as a kid, using big old granite pavers that came from downtown St. Paul streets, and I hated that darned driveway when it came to shoveling time...

Edited by BoxMN

For all the reasons stated I'd go concrete.  If you're looking for a little fancier look than just plain concrete you can look into all of the various finishing options (texture and color) for a concrete driveway.  It doesn't have to be the plain gray traditional concrete.