• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm in a similar.... boat lol.

I'd love to try kayak fishing, but I tip the scales at 315lbs. There are very few kayaks rated for that much weight, and I wouldn't be able to bring much gear.

And before anybody tells me to "just lose weight", I'm down from 350-ish 3 years ago, and steadily on my way towards my Dr's recommended 260 (I'm 6'2" with a thick build, currently 31% body fat). And even when I do hit my target weight, there's still not a whole lot of kayaks in the 250+ range.

Wish-I-Were-Fishn: Have you looked in to something like this?

Ultralight%20Kayak%20540X311.gif

Both of you should check out the Hobie line of kayaks. The peddle system about eliminates the back issues associated with paddling, and if desired they even have an electric motor option.

The Mirage pro Angler 14 foot has a 600 pound capacity; the 17 foot has a 900 pound capacity.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a Hobie dealer in the Twin Cities that offers free demos of their complete Hobie line of kayaks. All you have to do is call them and they will meet you on the water with whichever kayaks you are interested in trying. Pretty hard to not take advantage of that, if the kayak bug is biting.

No I don't work for them. I just like stuff that works!

WS

Some nice looking boats! I've fished out of a SOT kayak, and they're just about the most perfect boat a guy could find.

But those modified SOT kayaks are pretty nice...if you don't have to carry them. For those in Minnesota, why not save a few bucks, get a short canoe, paddle it around with some ballast, and use it for some BWCA/Quetico tripping if you ever feel the need? smile

Yes, yes, paddling a canoe in wind can be a miserable experience--if you're on the water at all, given big waves. But if you buy a fancy kevlar one, you can put it on top of your car so people will think highly of you, whether you catch fish or not. wink

Did I mention I've got an 80 lb. Osagian for sale?

I've also been considering buying a kayak, but their lack of versatility keeps getting in the way. Sweet rides when you don't need to carry them, but if I don't need to carry it, most of the time I can just dump the motor boat in and fish in more comfort. My solo canoes do almost as much most of the time, and sometimes they do it better.

My old, old Bell CJ Solo runs right about 35 pounds. No rocker at all. She's a beast to turn, but she's fast and seaworthy. If I'm fishing in big wind, well, I better be trolling and not catching many fish.

What do you paddle, Duff? Last week I was at the Midwest Mountaineering Expo eyeing up the new Bell solo boats, and boy I've got room to upgrade. The Wenonahs ain't bad, either. wink