• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring 2015 Brule River Steelhead and Brown Trout Report

Who's excited for the opener! The water should be in great shape this year. Things on the North Shore are shaping up nicely as well. Post your reports here. We especially want to see your pics, just no naming spots. Tight lines

The Brule Opener was spectacular from first light Saturday until the time we pulled the pin on Sunday in snowflakes that covered your entire face. We had a crew of 4 guys and the fish cooperated. Flow/color were very good and travel conditions were ideal. River crossing was fine if you were careful. Everyone we talked to was in good spirits and surprisingly chatty.

I know some people don't like numbers posted, but Mono Chuckers had an epic weekend going 19 of 31 fish. Fish in holes, runs, and caught in 1' of water. I hope it continues..... full-24609-54434-imagejpeg_0(2).jpg

full-24609-54435-img_2276.jpg

full-24609-54436-imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

full-24609-54437-img_2248.jpg

full-24609-54439-imagejpeg_0.jpg

full-24609-54440-fullsizerender.jpg

Made it out Saturday for a few hours, 2 of us fished for about 3 hours, I fished another hour after my buddy gave up lol. Never caught a fish, seen one swim through quick like. Talked to a lot of people and nobody had caught a thing.

Had a great day yesterday. Legitimately hooked (fought long enough to see the fish) a total of seven steelies and landed four. 22 to 26 inches. Had a few other "brushes". Also, landed a beautiful 16 inch resident rainbow.

full-40320-54657-brule4_6_15.jpg

I fished a couple days last week going 4 for 6 on adult steelhead plus a bonus lake run brown. 2 of the steel were fresh and the river was in all around good condition. A buddy got into a couple yesterday as well, but not as many as one would suspect. We don't actively fish gravel and suspect a lot of fish are on it doing their business right now. Traffic seemed light to us, even for the middle of the week. All fish came on egg patterns under an indicator or float and were strait up players that had some spunk for spring fish. Just like last fall, the average size was on the larger side. Still a decent amount of shelf ice on the banks and in the feeder creeks. April looks like it might be wet. The fishing should be hold through the end of the month. Not sure if I can make it up again. Best of luck to all.

Great pics and reports! Thanks for sharing. I wanted to let everyone know that with heavy rains last evening the Brule is high and very muddy. My suggestion would be to give it a few days. This is however great news for our north shore streams that desperately needed the precipitation. Tight lines

What a spring! I hope you all had success as well. I was only able to fish a total of 3 days this Spring, but they were all great. In total I hooked in the neighborhood of 14-15 steelhead and landed 6 or 7. I also was blessed with a couple nice resident browns and one bow. It was truly a great spring season. Looking forward to the fall! A couple pics from my adventures. As you can see, the one didn't want to cooperate for the selfie :-) Be well all.

full-40320-55345-20150420_102723.jpg

full-40320-55346-20150421_105151.jpg

full-40320-55347-editedpicofpetesbuck.jp

Excellent photo's guys. Congrats on the nice steelhead.

I'm curious what the final numbers will be for the Brule this spring. Anyone have inside information on count numbers yet?

We only fished the Brule the first 10 days of the season. It was not disappointing. But, many other rivers were fishing really good this spring too. So we bounced around a lot between MN and WI.