• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help... Wanna make Pastrami

I use this recipe and it turns out great every time. Its gone off the plate before I know it, everyone loves it. I have used it with both moose and deer.

I typically double the cure and rub so to make sure I have enough. The only change I make is that I cut the pepper amounts in half, if you don't like pepper that much cut it in like 1/3. I really like pepper and put it on almost everything but these amounts are just to much, especially if you have people who don't like pepper. Enjoy!

Venison Pastrami

Ingredients

Cure:

- ¼ cup Tender Quick

- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar

- 1 Tbsp. black pepper

- 1 Tbsp. onion powder

- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder

- 1 tsp. paprika

- 1 tsp. allspice

Rub:

- 3 Tbsp. black pepper

- 1 tsp. ground coriander

- 1 tsp. garlic powder

Directions

1. Mix cure ingredients and coat venison roast thoroughly. You really want to pack on the cure, leaving no surface uncovered. Place roast in gallon-size plastic bag and stick in the refrigerator.

2. Turn the roast once or twice a day. After a day or two, liquid will start to appear in the bottom of the bag. This is normal. Total curing time depends on the thickness of your roast, but consider five days the minimum.

3. At the end of the curing period, remove the roast from the bag and rinse thoroughly.

4. Coat the roast with the rub and place in pre-heated smoker. Smoke to 150 degrees.

5. Place the roast on a sheet of tinfoil, splash with a little beef stock and seal foil tightly. Let this steam for about 30 minutes. Remove from tinfoil, slice and enjoy.

I simply soak the corned beef for a while to get some salt out and then smoke it at 225 for 3 hours or so.

That's what I do. You can even treat it like a regular brisket and put a brisket rub on. Just don't put any salt or tender quick on, which is salt plus cure. I also soak them for a few hours, changing the water a few times. Smoke it just like a regular brisket.

I bought 6 of those corned briskets to smoke this summer.Saint Pat's day is the only week during the year they are on sale.