• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a resort for a 3 day trip northern MN

JesseParker1

Yeah it would help to be more descriptive.

Looking for a lake in northern MN that we can troll for Pike, fish for some walleye, and maybe have the opportunity for a muskie.

We have a cabin in Pequot, so we would like to go a little more north and be a little more secluded and have the opportunity for some bigger fish.

I am planning on taking my dad on a mini retirement trip to do some fishing. Looking for suggestions of areas for multi-species fishing. Looking to get away from the crowds as well.

Thanks in advance!

There's the rub. Good fishing draws crowds. Anything near Brainerd, Grand Rapids, Walker, Park Rapids, Alexandria draws crowds. I'm biased towards the VNP area. There are lots of resorts on Kabetogema, the Ash River and Crane Lake, but you can get away from the crowds by boating into Namakan, where there are no resorts or road access. The scenery is spectacular and the fishing is good. Walleye, pike and smallies. There are some perch, but not worth concentrating on them. Crappies are tough to find, but when you do, they run big. With the right documents, you can also fish the Canadian side of Namakan, where there are even fewer boats. Same goes for Rainy Lake, where fishing is probably better, but that's 200,000 acres compared to Namakan's 20,000 acres.

Then I would second "life o Reilly on Lake Vermilion. It is on Norwegian Bay on west end of lake vermilion. Pretty much out of the main traffic pattern and good fishing not far away.

Not going to fill the boat with eater walleye is the only possible issue.

Life Of Riley sounds like a good choice again after I hear what you're looking for. There's great Pike and Muskie fishing in the area. Del hit the nail on the head about the walleye. The slot fish outnumber the eaters but they sure are fun to catch. You can pick up eaters too, just a bit harder.

I would also pick Lake Vermilion. However I would direct you to the Tower end and recommend staying at Everett Bay Lodge. The walleye fishing on that end of the lake is better and Everett is aa great place to stay. it's quiet, is located in a protected bay and you are close to many attractions and restaurants.

I am also a big fan of Rainy Lake. we catch big Pike trolling and plenty of Walleye.

I absolutely love Camp Idlewood near Ranier, but not sure if they do 3 day rentals. There are plenty of places like Sha Sha and Thunderbird that do shorter rentals. The other option to get away from everyone is renting a houseboat.

Muskie opener June 7th 2015. That needs to also be considered into the equation if you want a shot at one. That 1st couple weeks in June might be the best option on finding a place that will rent for 3 days. After the kids are out of school, you tend to see less places allowing that.

Vermillion on the Tower side has everything you stated you were looking for.

If you fish during the week it will be mostly vacant. There will be a few vacationers, but mostly musky fisherman zipping around. Contact Cliff's Guide Service if you want someone to get you on walleyes.