• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to look for...

Fish&Fowl

My dad, wife and I were drawn for the 508-B season, and we are all fairly new to turkey hunting. I am hoping you turkey vets can point out some good "typical" scenarios that may hold birds. I plan on hunting private land and have been seeing some birds, but I'd like to narrow down a few good looking areas before making phone calls. Thanks for any help!

I see 508 is getting up north, so, if you've got turkeys, check out where they are now. CLearly spring is here early, so they may start spreading out a little sooner than usual.

Best way to locate turkeys is to find where they are at sunrise and sunset. They will be in or near woodlots where they will roost. The roosting sites don't vary too much, but they will rotate so check the same few sites.

Remember turkeys are a woodland bird and like acorns and other most trees for food. Turkeys will feed in farm fields because its easy food, but they don't rely on them. If there are some in your area, keep an eye on them during the day to see if the birds start showing up. Otherwise, I would check roads and trails to look for tracks to pinpoint travel routes.

Fish&Fowl

I have 508A and even though I have hunted turkeys for many years it has all been down in the SE corner of the state. So I to need to get up there and do some scouting. We Bow and Rifle hunt the area so I know it for Deer pretty well but not sure where the birds will be in the spring.

Since we will be hunting the season before you. We will try and leave some feathers and a gut pile to let you know where they were! grin

Thanks for the replies guys. So what is the best way to scout? Drive around early, late? Look for birds on field edges? Or just walk around the woods looking for birds/sign? We will be bow hunting and trying to call/decoy a bird into range. Looking forward to the chance to let an arrow fly! 508 is a good mix of fields, pastures, hardwoods, aspen stands and swamps, so I'm just trying to narrow down my search area some.

Best way to scout without spooking anything is sit quietly in the morning and listen for gobbles. You can usually do this from a road with no chance of busting birds.

I like to sit on my tailgate with a thermos of coffee and enjoy the morning.

My dad, wife and I were drawn for the 508-B season, and we are all fairly new to turkey hunting. I am hoping you turkey vets can point out some good "typical" scenarios that may hold birds. I plan on hunting private land and have been seeing some birds, but I'd like to narrow down a few good looking areas before making phone calls. Thanks for any help!

Also enlist friends and family who travel in the areas for intel as they travel in the areas you plan on hunting. Really speeds up your scouting having some leads to areas with turkey from others.

Best way to scout without spooking anything is sit quietly in the morning and listen for gobbles. You can usually do this from a road with no chance of busting birds.

I like to sit on my tailgate with a thermos of coffee and enjoy the morning.

This may work for me as I will be on the upper part of 508 where there are no fields or pastures, just woods!