• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS?

mrklean

You dont need phone signal to use the app. You can cache maps on your phone.

I've converted to using my cell phone for all GPS purposes. It started with using Lakemaster on my phone and now I've added onXmaps too and it works great. If you're concerned about battery then I recommend you look into one of the backup chargers and a portable solar panel.

My setup is my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 4), a Goal Zero Guide 10 kit and a case for me phone. Its every bit as reliable, faster than any GPS and the screen is bigger and easier to read. Not to mention, its my camera, ebooks, games etc. Its also much less clunky than the other GPS's out there.

As far as durability and reliability. I used it for a 3-day trip in the BWCA last year using the onXmaps for MN. I tracked my movement everyday, used the maps all day, used the camera, read books, played games etc. I never used up the battery (airplane mode saves a ton) and a quick charge pidday using the solar panel kept it topped off.

Phone signal is spotty at best in a lot of places. GPS is way more reliable. I have a garmin etrex 30. Doesn't have all the fancy stuff but it gets the job done.

I'm still using a gps too, but as Powerstroke mentioned below, there are a lot of reasons why gps's aren't necessary and signal certainly isn't required. For me, doing backpack hunts, it comes down to three key issues: 1) does the unit give me the info I want in a reliable way that will last for my whole trip?, 2) space, and 3) weight.

Simply comparing phone weight/space to gps weight/space doesn't make sense for me because I'll always bring my phone with me, even if it'll work in very few places. It provides a possible way to call, even if I have to climb the highest peak to make the call. If there's no possible way to get signal in an area, I'll leave the phone behind, but there aren't many places like that these days.

There are a lot of people carrying only their phone these days. Many of these folks are super experienced and know a ton. My GPS still stays with me on almost all my trips, but I've seriously considered swapping over to my phone and figuring out an alternative power source. I'm not in love with the solar panel options currently available. Still more digging to do, but I'm thinking about making a switch.

THe goalzero panel and battery pack costs around $100-120. They have a couple different power source options for you. If you're not looking for rechargeable batteries like AA or AAA, then they have a powerstick option that comes with a USB connections that will supply any device that has a USB charger.

I've found that GoalZero is one of the best out there and the most rugged for size. There are smaller panels and thinner panels out there, but few are as efficient or durable.

I toted mine through Yellowstpne NP and the BWCA last summer as well as all last hunting season and it ran perfectly. The panel still looks great and doesn't even need direct sun. Any amount of daylight will generate a current.

If you're willing to carry spare batteries you may as well consider looking into an alternative power source.

Awsome, thanks for posting that. but let me get it straight. one plugs into the batteries that have been charged by the pannel system. one cannot go straight to the pannel system with the phone correct?

You can charge off the panel or off the battery pack. The way I use it, I make sure the battery pack gets charged during the day. I charge the phone at night, the same way I would at home.

http://hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3288038/my-first-bwca-solo#Post3288038

Pictures of my panel charging and my panel attached to my pack.