• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gym exercises you won't do

tacklejunkie

The Human body adapts to change. Change is either adding something or removing something. Ever broke a bone and experience atrophy? Why did that muscle atrophy? Disuse.  Why didn't your joint straighten out right away? You took away the need for it to work. Same as what happens when you continue to train while taking away the function of the hamstrings.  They will atrophy or lose their function.  The great thing is you can always get it back because we as humans can adapt.  

Del, it's fact. Read about it. It's all over the place. Its how the human body works. 

No no need to apologize. I'm happy with myself.

No, incline does not matter for the point of discussion as energy depletion was not the point. De-conditioning your hamstrings was the point.  I believe I stayed this previously.

And yet all actual medical research that I can find seems to contradict what you are saying?  Can you explain that?  Are all the medical professionals wrong and you are right?

Just curious does the Dr. in your username tie back to you having an actual medical degree or is it a self issued title?  I'm just trying to get a sense of your background and how you can be so adamant about something that goes against apparent medical research.  

Believe it or not I'm open minded about the topic.  A lot of smart people used to think the world was flat until someone was able to prove otherwise. However, it did take research and evidence to convince people.  I'd be interested if it such research could be presented.   

No, it was religion that prevented the spread of knowledge.  That knowledge was always there, but you'd be beheaded for believing it, NoFish.

DrJuice is nothing more than a fish scent attractant, thanks for looking deeper into it though! :grin:  I never implied or made it look like I was.  I know my identity!

Your doctor is not the only doctor, your doctor was not educated like every doctor, your doctor doesnt use the same protocols as every doctor out there, dr. james andrews is not the same as your guy in waterville mn. 

Medical research that states muscles do not serve a purpose? Ok NoFish, I believe that. 

You want me to prove to you that hamstrings dont work on a treadmill like they do on solid ground, complete the freaking test I talked about a few posts ago and feel it for yourself, sheesh you guys, like talking to the dream team here.

Edited by DrJuice1980

Maybe the rest of us aren't being the hard headed ones as you seem to be blindly rejecting every medical study that contradicts your stance.  I'm am actually interested in this idea as both sides do make some sense to me.  However, as I look into it further I'm just not seeing any research evidence to support your side of the debate. I'm sorry but I just go where the evidence steers me and sadly a random guy on a fishing forum stating an opinion doesn't hold as much weight with me as numerous medical studies conducted by credentialed experts.

I'm still holding to my original statement that a varied workout is still your best option.   

Edited by nofishfisherman

People that call names tend to be most like the names they're calling.

oh and no fish, I think it's funny that's you'll spend that much time fact checking but won't go test and feel it for yourself.  Do it, see if you can feel a change in your hamstring. Or rely on the Internet, because everybody's opinion matters.  I tried to break it down for you but instead of offering suggestions you ran to google search. Nice thought process, that's why everybody is a genius. 

I give you detailed explanations and you talk about what you found on a google chrome search. Am I the only one that thinks that's wrong?

People that call names tend to be most like the names they're calling.

oh and no fish, I think it's funny that's you'll spend that much time fact checking but won't go test and feel it for yourself.  Do it, see if you can feel a change in your hamstring. Or rely on the Internet, because everybody's opinion matters.  I tried to break it down for you but instead of offering suggestions you ran to google search. Nice thought process, that's why everybody is a genius. 

I give you detailed explanations and you talk about what you found on a google chrome search. Am I the only one that thinks that's wrong?

Well i'm at the office, i've got plenty of internet but very few treadmills.  What's a guy to do?

I've read your detailed description and I've read detailed descriptions of medical studies conducted on this exact topic.  I'm giving your write up as much thought as I am the studies I've read.  I'm sorry if it offends you that I'm tending to side with medical experts versus random internet fishing guy.   

Also after some careful research, loads of google searches, and a few scientific studies I'm starting to agree with bobbymalone.  

You should give the truth (my take as you state) more thought as I didn't buy my way up the Google search list.  Nor is there an advantage for me to have you believe one or the other.  What's in it for those doctors? Plenty of surgeries, pain meds, swelling meds, muscle relaxer meds, pt, office visits, etc.  why wouldn't they want you to go on a treadmill?

Muscles aren't for looks, they serve purpose, until you can understand the purpose you won't get why certain things may need be as beneficial as once thought. 

Well I guess I just have to stoop down to your level: (3rd one down on the google search of "treadmill and hamstrings"

http://www.active.com/running/articles/indoor-vs-outdoor-running-3-things-to-know-about-treadmill-training

Indoor Versus Outdoor Running: The Differences

While there are treadmill benefits to boast of, there are still key differences runners need to be aware of between indoor and outdoor running.

Hamstrings: Because a machine powers the treadmill belt, the mechanics of your running stride differ when you run outside. When running on the treadmill, you use your quads to push off. But, unlike outdoor running, where you would typically rely on your hamstrings to finish the stride cycle and lift your leg behind you, the propulsion of the belt does much of that work for you. This means your hamstrings aren't firing as much and don't get worked running inside as they would outside. The extra effort demanded of your quads is also a factor to keep in mind.

Another:

http://www.johnhartfitness.com/running-treadmill…-no-activation-hamstrings

http://runners-resource.com/running-on-a-treadmill/

Did you fail to see these?

at-me-bro-you-come.jpeg

OK you guys.  My butt gets tired on the treadmill.  And during the winter the conditions for walking and running suck, so it is treadmill for me.  Or an elliptical at the gym.  Juice, you need some meditation or something.  Chill out, dude. 

However, based on past experience on other threads, you won't.  So bah bye. 

lol, personality advice from you is extremely laughable. Del, you have to be one of the most opinionated people on here, look in the mirror to see the real you pal. Funny how the knowitalls gang up on here, and the go right to google chrome as their answer factory. Extremely, extremely sad.  I feel like less of a man for doing that to help the argument, but that's norm to you

Id like to add to the list of donts:

Kettleballs/bells, whatever they're called.

pointless. Swinging your body with momentum isn't how to develop strength, you can tone using Dumbbells and those have multiple uses. Those kettle things are a waste of time and money.

I recently went to a cross fit competition and I think I cringed more there than watching bizarre foods episode. Form was terrible. A few teams absolutely crushed it because of proper technique but for the most part, it was an absolute dung-show. I think I saw 3-4 complete knee blowouts, mostly women.

ill add cross fit gym to this list of donts as well. Unless it's a good one but I would be very suspect if you're joining for advice on proper techniques and form.

You're a funny guy Juice.  Takes a special type of person to think using published medical research to support a position is stooping to something beneath you.  I'm sorry if that makes you feel like less of a man.  I guess in your mind a real man makes up his mind about something based solely on his own beliefs and refuses to acknowledge any evidence to the contrary.  Sadly too many people think like that.

Anyways I've grown tired of this back and forth. Good luck with your superior hamstring conditioning.  I'll stick with what I've been doing even if it means I'll never fulfill my life long dream of being a hamstring model.  Now I've got to go run out and get a few things done.  I'm just hoping my puny underdeveloped hamstrings are able to support my body weight while I attempt to stand up. Wish me luck.

You're a funny guy Juice.  Takes a special type of person to think using published medical research to support a position is stooping to something beneath you.  I'm sorry if that makes you feel like less of a man.  I guess in your mind a real man makes up his mind about something based solely on his own beliefs and refuses to acknowledge any evidence to the contrary.  Sadly too many people think like that.

Anyways I've grown tired of this back and forth. Good luck with your superior hamstring conditioning.  I'll stick with what I've been doing even if it means I'll never fulfill my life long dream of being a hamstring model.  Now I've got to go run out and get a few things done.  I'm just hoping my puny underdeveloped hamstrings are able to support my body weight while I attempt to stand up. Wish me luck.

:grin:

It was more advice to prevent knee injuries but go ahead and spin it in the direction of a hamstring model, further proving your lack of knowledge on the subject. Where were your links to this "medical" research? Lol. I give you what you want for links/info to support my argument. I guess that wasn't enough for you but what you say you found should be enough for me to understand? Wait, it was SOLELY based on my beliefs, not factual supported evidence which I supplied you.  Just go ahead and forget about that and call it what you want to try to support your lack of knowledge. Boy, what a head scratcher. You're your own worst enemy when it comes to learning anything that isn't delivered the way you want it to be, leaves a lot to not know about.

Your 2 paragraphs made little sense with what I had talked about on here and supplied with information. It really exposes your #1: poor debating skills #2: lack of knowledge of the human body #3: extreme reaches to discredit factual information.  In fact, you were too dense to see that a treadmill has a spinning wheel doing the work of your hamstrings. How is that so hard to comprehend? I'm besides myself! :crazy:

NoFish, try offering some substance next time instead of peeking in, spouting off about something you know nothing about (other than recent google chrome searches) and then trying to come back with personal digs.

Word of the day for you: Substance.  Do something different and offer some

In the 1930's Dale Carnegie wrote a book called, "How to Win Friends and Influence People."  There are some very substantive ideas in there on dealing with people, being kind, being respected, and ultimately winning their trust and in instances get them to buy into your way of thinking.  Give it a read or at least Google Chrome the basic substance of the book.  It will help you in many aspects of life, not just on HSO.

I write that as no shill for Dale Carnegie.  A couple of my family members teach Dale Carnegie stuff and it can be over the top but the basic message is very useful.

My second tact for you Juice would be an old school one many fathers employed over the years and maybe would work better.  Quit being an a$$.  You come across as the neighbor none of us would ever want to have, the parent on our kids youth sports team we wouldn't want to sit next to, and you use your ears and mouth in the wrong ratio that God gave them to you in.  Nofish said he wanted to learn multiple times but saw some other facts that were getting in the way or countered your thoughts.  You can't help but blather at him in an ineffective way.  You claim you know yourself and I find that hard to believe.   Hopefully you are just a bad writer and four of us take your writing differently than how you mean it.  If that's the case become a more thoughtful writer.

Take this as constructive criticism or take it however you want.  Sometimes we all need a little wake up call to make our lives better in the future.

Read a book about how to influence people? I think that's garbage.  I don't want to influence people, nor do I care about making any friends. I think people that take advice on influencing others have pre-conceived notions that are usually more negative than positive. I'm lucky to be sharp enough to see through those characters.

Im not looking to change who I am, I like beinging genuine and honest, and to be honest, that's the most offensive thing you can tell somebody. "Change your character" is pretty much your advice. Lol. To be more like you think I should be? What if I'm not like you and have different values? What if the way you go about your life isn't what I think is right? You need a book to tell you how to be, I'm sorry but advice from you isn't worth my time. I'm not on here telling you how to act. I think I'm the better person for that. 

Your second advice was that I get beat up. So you think I'm somewhat aggressive in my delivery (a$$ as you called me) and the way to deal with that is to beat me up. #1, thats hypocritical, #2, I'm the bad guy, not you the one wishing a beat down on somebody. 

I think I'm more the guy that doesn't go through life conforming to everybody else's norms. You're obviously on the othe side of that spectrum, recommending a book on how to be conformed to be able to relate better to society. I'd rather disassociate my self with the current society than be more like it.

Tackle, That can throw the shoulders off if you're not careful. Close grip bench and dips can help. Not a bad lift but one if you can't keep your shoulders down and back and elbows in, will wreak havoc. 

Thats how it's gone for me anyways. I still do that just not with weight I cannot fully control. Gains are not always seen, feeling gains is what's important to me.

Bobby, are you trying to look like a 5yr old? You have the acting part down that's for sure.

You're probably just trying to lock up another thread, like the quality person you are