• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Walleye Rod

For a jigging rod, I like a medium action that is 6' or a 6'3".

For pulling lindy rigs, I'd go with a medium action again, but like 7' or 7'6" if possible.

If your looking for one rod for both uses I'd go with a 6'6" medium, it's a great rod for all purposes that you may do. You have to go out and hold every rod you might want in your hand and just go by feel...if possible, put your reel on it to make sure it's balanced and feels right in your hand.

For a crankbait rod, you're gonna want a baitcasting style rod. Spinning rods aren't designed for pulling cranks and the rod will break on you sooner or later.

I have shoulder problems; so I have better luck using a 7 ft. med. rod. You don't have to spend big bucks for a decent rod, but you do want one that is light weight, and sensitive so do some testing. Taking your reel along is a good idea.

For crank baits. If your talking about casting smaller ones for walleye, then that set up will do fine. If you plan to troll them, then a bait caster is better.

Regarding actions and lenght, I don't have too much to add then those above. Most all my open water fishing is lindy riggin or jiggin. I perfer a rod over 6.6', closer to 7'.

Regarding price, I've asked this question years ago on here. Consensses was, there's a huge difference in quality from the around $50 rods to the $150 rods but littler difference from the $150 rods to the $250 rods.

I have fished Legend Extreme's, 13 Fishing Envy's and a few others, but I now use the Denali Rosewood series rods.

I like a 6'6" med rod with a fast or Xfast action. I use the same rod for lindy rigging and has worked just fine.

Also the price point ($189) for the rosewood is very good for the phenomenal rod you're getting. I highly recommend checking them out.

http://www.denalirods.com/rosewoodrods.aspx

For jigging my favorite is a 6'-6" medium rod with fast or ultra fast tip. My primary go-to rod is a Fenwick Elite Tech with ultra fast tip with a Pflueger Supreme 25x reel. This setup works when the walleyes aren't too finicky or they are biting super soft. When I want to present the jig with a little more finesse, I got to my St. Croix Eyecon with fast tip and again the Pflueger Supreme 25x reel. The Pflueger Supreme 25x is a smaller reel but I find it balances the rods real nice.