Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
DTro

Mille Lacs Pike...Not Surprising

I would agree.

When they changed the regs to such a liberal limit it seemed more than a little rash (same for the smallies).

Are they still doing creel studies up there for the extended angling only season?

It will be interesting to see the results of those creel studies once the big pike move back into the shallows.

They got what they wanted,Just sooner than expected.Lots of people wanting a nord of substantial size. Its thined out now.

Are they still doing creel studies up there for the extended angling only season?

It will be interesting to see the results of those creel studies once the big pike move back into the shallows.

Suspect they will, but if not.....they already realize this was a bonehead decision and the extended season with the opportunity to take large pike by hook and will not be available next year either. Maybe the season, but for sure not big pike. Can't imagine this would upset you....right? Well, it probably will. Will gladly sign your petition for equal rights to go out in March and spear as many small pike as you like........

The 2 new slots the DNR is considering seems pretty liberal also. A 30 inch maximum size limit or 28 to 44 inch slot would seem much more effective at protecting large pike.

The DNR proposal is for three management zones with different regulations. One a protected slot, one with a minimum size limit and one with the 30 maximum size limit you are suggesting.

I don't get these "make it up as we go" regs the DNR imposes on Mille Lacs. Who is the commissioner, Roger Goodell?

They open up spearing and are surprised people aren't harvesting 20" pike, but are going after the giants? Doesn't take a rocket scientist (or fisheries biologist) to figure that one out.

The pike season has closed every where in the state, but is open until the end of March on Mille Lacs. You think there might be a million tip ups out in the weedy bays over the next month?

Knew it was going to happen. Some people cannot control themselves and it gets ruined for years if it will ever come back.

Oh well, we can "go to another lake" right?

I hate that saying. Mille lacs is "my other lake." I guess its time to start exploring leech lake. I mean seriously, the people who come up with the regs for mille lacs are so dense, the lake would honestly be better off with no regs at all.

Did you guys see the article in the Trib last week about spearing on Mille Lacs? The DNR said that the number of spearing licenses sold in 2014 was up 44% (+8000) from 2013. The only change in regs was the opening up of Mille Lacs to spearing.

Not trying to knock spearing here, just the DNR's short sighted management of the lake.

I strongly disagree with dtro - it IS surprising as we've had merk tell us over and over again just how it really is. Mind boggling to say the least, who would have seen that coming? crazy

Went to Mille Lacs twice this year with my wife. The first time with a darkhouse and tip-ups. No flags and saw one pike in the house which we took home (29 inches). Second time last Sunday with just tip-ups, one flag resulting in one pike which we took home (40 inches). Seems unlikely that we'll ever get that limit of ten times two equals twenty pike...

The DNR is a govt. agency. What is the end goal of govt.? Tax revenue. They are in a tough spot, trying to manage resources and keep the recreating public happy and at the same time creating revenue. But to keep the balance of resources with the factors of mother nature (weather) and fishing/hunting pressure is not a easy thing. The DNR is a beauracracy, it's not just a bunch of guys & gals driving around in green pickups, waiting to bust poachers. So when mille lacs goes down the tubes and nobody will come up there anymore, what better way to fix the problem then to wreck another species population to recruit more to the area to fill the void. And the deer of minnesota? Just like mille lacs, poplulations are under & over estimated and tags issued, regardless of the population. Can't loose the revenue, just because there are no deer. And people wonder why there's no deer anymore. And there are always the excuses, like the real windy/snowy/rainy/calm/sunny/perfect conditions for whitetail deer- weather during season hampered the harvest. It's a tough balancing act, but in the end it's all about the money, resource is secondary.

Here’s the problem, a guy goes to ML twice and is able to catch or spear a 40”er. Extrapolate that out over the course of a season and the number of anglers/spearers trips to the pond and I bet a LOT of 40+ “ fish died there this year. If there is never a protected trophy slot and we are always allowed “one over” then the problem will always be there. A lot of people still need skin based wall decorations I guess. What’s wrong with a statewide cutoff at say 35” ?

A lot of people still need skin based wall decorations I guess.

Oh, that's a good line. wink

I'm sure PETA will pick that up sometime! For many anglers, younger ones especially it's a dream to put a mount on the wall. It can take many years of trying and if it's legal then more power to them.

You don't have any at all DTro? Not one Cat! confused

I have 6 of my PB of different species, would be 7 but I could not afford to do my 36" Laker.

Don't be a "Skin Cop" we have enough people telling us in our sports what we can and can not do! wink

...What’s wrong with a statewide cutoff at say 35” ?

I always thought the same about crappies, should have a statewide cutoff of 9". A 9" crappie has plenty of meat and all the people catching and keeping 10" and 11" crappies are killing MY chances of taking a picture of a 15" crappie.

/sarcasm.

If I ever had the urge for a dust collector, I'd get a replica. There is a win/win here but I understand people have different opinions. So be it ...

That is what the spearing guys have been told when the topic of spearing ban lakes comes up....how does it feel?

Its funny you bring that up. You dont think I have heard that as a musky angler before? Funny. How many trophy pike lakes are there in MN? Well, you can subtract Mille Lacs from that now. Its going to be ruined. Not just because of spearing, but because people have no common sense whatsoever. Just because something is legally within their right to do so, doesn't make conservation sense. The DNR had no idea that spearing would have been such a big boost on ML this year. Those regs are far too loose. They had to know it would be an increase in harvest and they should have reduced the limits come ice up IMO. Not just because spearers are doing it all, but you know there would be far more pike harvested through the ice than in the open water.