• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Labeling reels with line weight?

JayDeHay

My attempts to search this have been met with results all over the board, but none pertaining to my question.

When you string up your reels, do you label them with the lb-test line you're putting on? If so, where and/or how?

This is the first year I've had enough rods/reels to make this an issue. I used to only maintain 3 combos (Ultralight, Light, Medium). I've been collecting pieces for a couple years and began pairing combos last week so I can run backup and alternate rods for given species.

I considered running the same poundage on similar action rods to keep things simple, but I'd like to fine tune rods for specific situations and species. I've got several combos that are identical, and I don't know how to identify them if I use different line weights on each.

Yes I have for several years because I have too many combos. My ultralights all get 2lb but some are just labeled FL for Floroucarbon. The others I'll put the number 4,6 etc inside spool and on foot that mounts to rod. I used to put it on spool but found sometimes it wore off hence why I started putting it on inside of spool. I use a ultra thin sharpie.

It is very rare that I will switch a reel to a different rod so I "mark" the rod by wrapping a small peice of colored Duct tape at the base of the rod just above the rod handle. Each color tape represents the line weight/type on the reel that is spooled on that combo. Red = 4lb Blue = 6 green= 8 etc.... This method has also makes it easy for me to indentify my rods from others that may be fishing in my boat with similar combos.

As said; for spinning reels just write it on the inside of the spool with a sharpie.( necessary for me since I run four of the same reels on different rods. 2, 4, and 6 mono) For a bait casters I only have a few, so no problem. smile

A company also makes colored bands with weight information that go on a rod handle. The idea of colored bands make ID'ing rods in a rod locker easier.

I haven't been able to find it through online searches but it was in either BassPro or Cabelas paper catalogs. I'll try to find it tonight.

I have been buying the same reel for the last 5 or so years now. It's nice cause I can interchange the spools. That said, I've been marking my spools with a sharpie to indicate what lbs test. I basically have 3 different line lbs I use, 2 lbs, 6lbs, and some crazy high lbs spiderwire junk.

I'm going to hijack this thread for a bit. grin

Many of us have more than a couple of rod set ups; this can be a invite to theft. I do every thing I can to prevent this, but JUST incase it happens. I place stick on return address labels on my reels seats under the reel. Most people will never look there and gives you proof that the rods is yours. Just in case!

I place stick on return address labels on my reels seats under the reel. Most people will never look there and gives you proof that the rods is yours. Just in case!

You gave me an idea! I'm going to buy an engraver and mark my rods and reels in an inconspicuous area. Probly under the reel seat, and under the foam on rod handles.

I hate thieves! mad Anything I can do to that may ruin their day puts a smile on my face grin