• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

power rating on LX3

Question

I was at Cabelas in Mitchell this past weekend and the salesman told me that the Marcum LX3 power was tied to the gain. He said that if the gain was at 10 it would at that point be kicking out the full 1500 watts of power. And with the gain at 1 it could be down to 150 watts of power. I told him I had never heard or read anything like that before, and he said that the Marcum Rep. told him that. He then called another salesman over and he confirmed what he said. He said that it was like the "S" cable on the "18". Have any of you heard of this? Thanks

13 answers to this question

Yes most all sounders have a variable gain setting. Except the Vex which runs at 400 watts constantly. Thats why you need a supression cable in shallow water with the vex. The gain controll on the Vex dosent controll wattage(signal) sent but rather signal recieved.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 02-26-2003).]

I am of the understanding that 1) most units use high power output and insensitive receivers whereas Vexilar uses low power output and very sensitive receivers, 2) that all units put out their max power all the time and 3) the gain or sensitivity adjustment changes the sensitivity of the receiver, not the power output. One LCG that you can adjust the power output is the Zercom LPG2000 now the Hummingbird Legend. The S-cable on the Vexilar is called a suppression cable so it must reduce the power output.

"that all units put out their max power all the time and 3) the gain or sensitivity adjustment changes the sensitivity of the receiver, not the power output."
///////////////////////////////////////////
No........

Vex puts out 400 watts constantly and the gain is controlled by what the receiver allows in.
Most other sounders wattage is control by the gain dial. If you have a 1500 watt peak sounder your not sending at 1500 all the time. You would have to have your gain maxed out along with your depht.
So if your where in shallow water and your gain and depht was turned down you would actually be using 150-200 watts Thats half as much as the Vex's constant 400 watts. Now tell me which receiver is insensitive. Which sounder would be more likely top spook fish? Lets say you put a 40 or 60 degree transducer on a Vex in 100-200 ft of water which is common on the Great Lakes. Its not going to work worth a bean. Why? Not enough Watts.

Lowrance told me they do too.. na na nana na
grin.gif

Derek why dont we debate this on the end of a dock with a case of beer, rods and a couple dozen leeches on a nice summer night. grin.gif

Anyway my point was Vex is a constant 400 watts. And the gain/sensitivity are controlled with the receiver.

As opposed to most other sounders where the watts are not a constant and wattage is controlled by the user.

Hookmaster
You mean if you maxed out the gain could you break up gull stones? grin.gif

No really dont try it, last time I did blood ran out my ear. grin.gif

Ok sorry. I dont know if you could hear the difference or not. I know if you hold the transducer up to your skull its louder.

I was talking all brands. The Genetron, being so expensive, isn't even on the list of ones I consider.

If you can adjust the power output up and down by the gain/sensitivity, wouldn't the "ticking" sound you hear from the transducer get louder/softer, respectively?

Not really on the topic, but just an FYI. A store located in Fridley has the LX3 on sale for $349.00... so anybody whos interested may want to check them out.

(I'm not naming the store, out of respect for Rick and this site, but you can email me if interested)

------------------
-FNC

"If I had a job... I'd quit it."