• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Castle

Ol' Lund

Hi-

I was wondering if you guys that already have an ice castle could tell me approximately what a 8x16v single axle weighs? And also a 8x20v tandem? I am planning on buying one and was initially going to go with the 8x16 now I was just contemplating on how a half ton truck would handle the 8x20v? I have a Chevy Silverado 1500 4 Speed Transmission.

thanks for the input!

I have a 1/2 ton Truck.

Owned a 8x16, sold it. Now I have an 8x21. I can say even though the 8x21 weighs much more, the tandem axles helps a lot with balance and the trailer brakes makes a huge difference.

My recommendation is add a rear airbag suspension. It will help a lot with towing performance. Eliminate nose dive when braking and better ride.

I have a 8x20ft V. when i first got it i pulled it with a chevy half ton suburban or a ford expidition, althou it pulled it just fine, Its the stopping of the house that i was uncomfertable with, The weight of the house was so much more to try and stop with, any quick type stops needed, like yellow lights, I have had to keep going thru the red an pray cross traffic sees me. t didnt happen all the time but on an occasion or to like if you missed the flashing yellow that tells you its gona turn red before yu get to the lights. there was just no stopping with the weight of the house, I think the by law the 20fter have to have the break system installed dont they or recomemded. My half tons did not. Sooooooo For all safty resons I bought a 2009 chevy 3/4 ton HD. Its th right size vehicle for that size house. Im sure you half ton'rs do just fine and have no problems. But the 3/4 ton truck is better suited for that size house. One should never tow a trailer equal too or greater than the vehicle doing the towing.

No offense, but this is a terrible statement."One should never tow a trailer equal too or greater than the vehicle doing the towing."

I guess if you live by this, all semis should be banned from the road... It just takes common sense to pull trailers. Watch your speeds and stopping distance.

Common sense should tell me you assume beyound litterary understanding and you know what happens when one assumes.Quite a big difference between a tractor trailor designed to do just that with air brakes is equiped to do so. I use common sense when i pulled my castle with half ton,been pullign trailers of some sort for 30 plus years, but decided for saftey reasons and years of experience pulling rigs on ice and snow an rain that using a vehical designed and ment for should be considerd.watching speed and stopping distance is just part of game, oh no I said game, I guesse that will get twisted now too, but mother nature dosent play fair and one needs to prepare for that. I guuesse this where ones opinion gets pulled into a bash sesion of aguments and insults and nor respect for a person opinion just cynical bashing on school yard level. I opplogize for giving my personal opinion on experience in this matter.

They come with trailer brakes and all you need is a controller in the truck and they stop just fine with a half ton . I have a chevy half ton with a 4.8 liter and a 8x16 ice castle and it didn't stop good . I bought a $45 controller and it plugged in easy , now it stops very easy , no problems . I would no recommend pulling with out it and I think it's the LAW to have trailer brakes on trailers over 3000 lbs

I pull my 28 foot travel trailer just fine with my 1/2 ton Chevy but I do have the brake controller.

I also pull me 6.5x14 Ice Castle just fine without the brake controller, only problem is that right now the roads are rough with frost heaves, you can really feel it going over the bumps, on a good road you don't even know its there.

Good advice on going bigger and getting the tandem tires. I've always wonder about all that weight on a single axle, never thought about the towing aspect. Something to keep in mind when I upgrade.