• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winch problem

I have a 12v winch with a wired "remote", basically the remote has an "in" and "out" buttons. It has worked great for years (mainly using to pull rolling dock in and out, and some pulling stuck vehicles) but last year one of the buttons stopped working. I can make it work by reversing the leads/clamps on battery so the working button goes the opposite way.

I have not even opened the "remote" case yet to look at problem button or possible loose wire. But does anybody have advice for what the issue could be? Like a relay or something, or what to look for other than obvious loose broken wires, etc.

The buttons are round and plastic and while I don't have it handy right now I think they have collar that might even screw off of the housing/case.

Thanks for any thoughts.

edit - winch is slightly different from this, but the "remote" I think is exactly the same.

1244446672-Winch2000Tmax0801.jpg

I have the same exact one on my bicycle lift so I opened it up to look. My guess is that one of the buttons has burned contacts from arching. The buttons may or may not be serviceable but by the looks of it you can get in there a bit by removing the screws on the contactor that hold it to the button assembly. I'd take it apart, at this point you have nothing to lose since it doesnt work any way!full-8254-53350-contactor.jpg

Thanks guys, I will see if it will come apart next weekend. Not exactly the same, but hopefully it is setup like that picture. Should be easy to see a problem if it comes apart like that!

I have the same exact one on my bicycle lift so I opened it up to look. My guess is that one of the buttons has burned contacts from arching. The buttons may or may not be serviceable but by the looks of it you can get in there a bit by removing the screws on the contactor that hold it to the button assembly. I'd take it apart, at this point you have nothing to lose since it doesnt work any way!full-8254-53350-contactor.jpg

Make sure to disconnect the battery first! smile