• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Devils Lake weekend report

Not a very good weekend. Not a very good report. It was really cold Saturday and even colder Sunday. We fished Mission bay Saturday. We tried 3 different midlake humps and bumps in 19-22 fow for walleyes. Caught 2 right away at the first spot and then only 1 pike the rest of the day. At the end of the day we were 30 yards from our buddies who setup and didn't move all day. They ended up with 7 keeper walleyes, I think 9-10 caught total. Tip ups and set lines were the best. 30 yards from them on a nice little hump and we didn't even mark a fish!

Sunday we got out towards the mouth of 6 mile bay, it was -24 with a good 15-20 mph wind, and our augers wouldn't start. Then I broke the recoil rope on mine. We had to setup the house and warm the augers up while I put the rope back in. Fish from 8-1030 and didn't even mark a fish.

I feel if we would've been able to move a little more, we would've done alot better. Didn't try for any perch at all.

I fished Fri. afternoon and Sat. morning on Six Mile bay and Lake Irvine. Pretty much the same story. I was able to move around a little on Fri. Outside of a couple of Northerns caught on Irvine I did not mark a fish or have a bite.

The ice is about 6" away from needing an extension.

We had a slow weekend as well. In chatting with a guide, he said mauvais flats area and the gap were good. Tried it and got skunked our first day. Took a portable everywhere in that Bay and didn't mark one fish. Ladies in the ice house got a pike.

Day two, we went to six mile Bay and setup along the west side in 17 fow. One pike and a few lost fish by the ladies. We took the portable out for search and destroy. Only found tiny perch and tons of bugs coming up the hole. Can't image the fish being hungry with this many bugs to feed on. We went by doc hagens but didn't see anyone within a half mile of that area so we continued North. Ended up going to bud Weiser point for the walleye bite and had a flurry of 16-17"fish from 4 to 630. Saved our night and trip even though we were there for jumbos.

How deep on Budweisers point? Does one need Budweiser to be successful there?

Lol. 21ft contour line. No bud needed. Copper with orange sticker Slender spoons worked best. Either that or I was the only one jigging it correctly.

We are heading to Devil's Lake for our first time ever a week from today so if anyone has any good tips or suggestions on where to start (general area) we'd welcome your input. And better yet, if anyone gets out this weekend and has a report would love to hear it. Thanks!

Just came back from a brutal two day trip. Monday and Tues. Winds were raging the whole time, so it was tough to move around. We were fishing in stationary houses both days. Perch were not there, but we managed a dozen decent walleyes. Best luck was in the general area of

Budweiser point. I have to believe with the warm up, things will only get better.

Weather was enjoyable today. The fishing didn't follow, at least for us. Fished all day with small walleyes and small perch to show for it... I don't know where the big walleyes are. I can't find em. My conclusion is less than 10' is the way to go. Will be trying next week.

Thanks for the quick updates, really appreciated!

Walleyking19 - will be curious to hear how you did this week with the warm up. Forecast looks great so hopefully things will loosen up by the time we get there.

We just got back from a two and a half day trip. The weather was absolutely awesome. The fishing was not the greatest. For us anyway. Everywhere we went it seemed we were either a day late or if we were there in the evening we should have been there in the morning. We arrived Thursday late afternoon and tried a spot we seen and wanted to try since last year. Fished the evening with a northern and one nice eye 25". Friday morning ran tip ups on pelican lake and caught 15 in about 4 to 5 hours with smelt and hot dogs. Fished afternoon and evening off Grahms island on a steep break with no success. Saturday we went to stump lake and caught only 15 perch during the day. That evening we set up in about 18 FOW for walleyes but only managed to get two. After talking with multiple people it seems six mile bay on the nw side of Grahams island would be a good bet for perch and eyes. Or by the towers on creel for perch.

We just got back from a two and a half day trip. The weather was absolutely awesome. The fishing was not the greatest. For us anyway. Everywhere we went it seemed we were either a day late or if we were there in the evening we should have been there in the morning. We arrived Thursday late afternoon and tried a spot we seen and wanted to try since last year. Fished the evening with a northern and one nice eye 25". Friday morning ran tip ups on pelican lake and caught 15 in about 4 to 5 hours with smelt and hot dogs. Fished afternoon and evening off Grahms island on a steep break with no success. Saturday we went to stump lake and caught only 15 perch during the day. That evening we set up in about 18 FOW for walleyes but only managed to get two. After talking with multiple people it seems six mile bay on the nw side of Grahams island would be a good bet for perch and eyes. Or by the towers on creel for perch.

Hot Dogs on a tip up? Does that work? confused

If so what brand works the best? I can see a thread next year on this coming up! grin