Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrBig

Slip bobber knots

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone have good directions for making slip bobber knots? Is there a way to make them using 2 straws? A friend used to have a little tool that you inserted a straw onto, but I haven't seen them in the stores anymore.

Thanks Dave! You da man!

I like the bobber stops packaged by Eagle Claw. Four in a pack, each one includes small rubber stop and bead on a wire, for about $1. Made for different sizes of line. Goes thru the rod guides easier than the knot. I often use a 9' ultralight with tiny rod guides near the tip. The downside is you must put the stop on the line before the bobber is put on the line.

I use small plastic tubing cut in 1 1/2 lengths. For the pass through tube I use the straw off a WD-40 can. I go to the sewing department at Walmart or K-Mart. I use Crochet thread, comes in all colors and thickness and easy to work with.

I also use it when I am trolling a floating minnow. I tie a bright color at the mouth and long enough to trial from both sides, like it has a worm or meal.
Rooster

I just buy a package of about 200 bobber stoppers(with beads). It costs about 1.50$. They are simply high visiblilty line/rope.(small diameter but big enough not to slip through) they are pretied around a small "tube". you just slip them up your line, move the string back off the tube, slide the tube off, and pull the string tight. I think you can but them at cabelas or gander mountain, I think its the best way to go(easiest too!)

I guess I'm with Born2Fish. I also buy the bulk packages of the bobber stops on the little plastic tubes. I always carry a small Swiss Army knive with sharp scissors, so I just cut the excess string and the tube off after I've tied the knot. Careful if you try this, though, it's easy to knick or cut your line. I've done it once.....that was enough.

The only down side to these things is that you can't re-tie a bobber stop once you have your terminal tackle on.

Bags of these things make great stocking stuffers.....put them on your list and you'll end up with a lifetime supply, like me!

Good luck.......

Yeah the line can get cut very easily! I just tend to put my finger right as tight to the knot as i can get and just bite off the excess. The line is usually pretty easy to just bite through with you teeth.

Get ahold of a du-bro slip bobber knot kit, it has a tool for tying many different knots and comes with a spool of line for slip bobber knots. I think I payed 4.99 for mine.

Thanks Fiskyknut! That sounds like the tool that I was looking for. Do you remember where you got it?

I know Fleet Farm used to carry them(maybe they still do but I don't know for sure). I personally didn't care for the kit(line is too thick so that the fishing line hangs up on it when you cast).

If anyone nows where to get some of the larger beads with the small hole(used to come with bobber stops). When using thin diameter 6lb test the line often slips through the bead.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Still on the fence between going with the cabin or lodge, my dad has a normal lodge and it has tons of room which is great but it also is somewhat heavy for 1 guy to load and pull it seems. I mostly fish with just 1 other person and maby 25% of the time by myself so that was why I was leaning to the cabin which also seemed to have plenty of room for 2 it seemed to me. Also from what I understand the cabin will fit in chevy crew cab box and the lodge won't? I have a 04 crew cab short box so one more incentive for the cabin if thats true.
    • Sounds perfect, thinking your guys reviews will seal the deal for me once I can see one in person again, a hyfax kit will also be on my list as I plan on pulling it behind my sportsman 570. Thanks for the review also AAmerican, it's early to be thinking ice fishing but I'm sure there's people out there like us that are a little anxious!
    • The Chippewa flowage would be a great place to start. I will be honest. Walleye are not what I have ever chosen to Target when I fish up there but the flowage is a great fishery.    Nelson lake would be another choice.
    • I have had 3 of the otter pro xt's, a cabin, lodge and resort. I still have the resort and recently purchased the cabin. I have not had many different brand portables but have fished in other brands buddies have. They are the nicest portables I have personally owned and until I try something I like more I wouldn't change from them at all. The resort is heavy and not something I like dragging far by hand especially loaded with gear and much snow on the lakes. But it has tons of room and I have fished 4 people in it before, a little tight but doable. The cabin I purchased for more hand pulling and an extra for if I have people along. They are very warm and I have fished in them down to -30 deg F. A regular buddy heater keeps them plenty warm, if it isn't to cold or the house is banked well its easily t-shirt weather inside. The resort needs a big buddy heater for colder days sometimes due to the larger size but isn't terrible with a regular. Overall very happy with them all and have been very durable. Also no dripping of water from the ceiling. Highly recommend a set of hyfax for the bottom. I had over 1000 miles pulling my old lodge and they hyfax held up great but I always pulled on snow and not across asphalt much at all.   Changes I have made to them: - added a battery box and inside LEDs  - used stainless screws on the band that hods the fabric to the tub only because I don't like the look of the rusted screws.     If you think you'll be purchasing one I would recommend stopping at a Gander Mountain if you have one near by and getting a set of hyfax since they are going out of business there is a good amount of ice gear. I found hyfax recently there for $15 a set.
    • We are on Lake Edward at WildWoods RV resort just north of Merrifield, MN. It is nice just driving up, unlocking it, playing for the weekend and locker her back up and leaving the frig on.  They let Atheists and Jesus freaks all in!
    •   My wife and I are starting to think about parking ours someplace. I'm tired of trying to get reservations and having to hook and unhook and all that goes with a weekend of camping. Plus I would like to have the toys available like 4-wheeler and boat.   We are looking at places up north. We know several people and like the Emily-Outing-Remer-Hill City area. I think you a further west, right? Brainerd area maybe?  
    •   5 years at one campground until they went private and wanted 60-70g's per lot with one-just-like-silly-me-o-en fees which were about what we were paying yearly already on top of that!  12 years where we are now with way bigger lots.
    •   Too bad the previous owner didn't know what they were doing. Never, ever use silicone on a rubber camper roof. I learned that the hard way many years ago.....   At least you have a good reason to have to go to the camper this weekend    How long have you been doing the seasonal thing?
    • Thanks for the reply, sounds about like what I expected and I really like the square tubing on the otters compared to clams round cheaper setup. Anyone seen any changes to the new otter lineup for this year? 
  • Our Sponsors