• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slip bobber knots

MrBig

Question

Does anyone have good directions for making slip bobber knots? Is there a way to make them using 2 straws? A friend used to have a little tool that you inserted a straw onto, but I haven't seen them in the stores anymore.

10 answers to this question

I like the bobber stops packaged by Eagle Claw. Four in a pack, each one includes small rubber stop and bead on a wire, for about $1. Made for different sizes of line. Goes thru the rod guides easier than the knot. I often use a 9' ultralight with tiny rod guides near the tip. The downside is you must put the stop on the line before the bobber is put on the line.

I use small plastic tubing cut in 1 1/2 lengths. For the pass through tube I use the straw off a WD-40 can. I go to the sewing department at Walmart or K-Mart. I use Crochet thread, comes in all colors and thickness and easy to work with.

I also use it when I am trolling a floating minnow. I tie a bright color at the mouth and long enough to trial from both sides, like it has a worm or meal.
Rooster

I just buy a package of about 200 bobber stoppers(with beads). It costs about 1.50$. They are simply high visiblilty line/rope.(small diameter but big enough not to slip through) they are pretied around a small "tube". you just slip them up your line, move the string back off the tube, slide the tube off, and pull the string tight. I think you can but them at cabelas or gander mountain, I think its the best way to go(easiest too!)

I guess I'm with Born2Fish. I also buy the bulk packages of the bobber stops on the little plastic tubes. I always carry a small Swiss Army knive with sharp scissors, so I just cut the excess string and the tube off after I've tied the knot. Careful if you try this, though, it's easy to knick or cut your line. I've done it once.....that was enough.

The only down side to these things is that you can't re-tie a bobber stop once you have your terminal tackle on.

Bags of these things make great stocking stuffers.....put them on your list and you'll end up with a lifetime supply, like me!

Good luck.......

Yeah the line can get cut very easily! I just tend to put my finger right as tight to the knot as i can get and just bite off the excess. The line is usually pretty easy to just bite through with you teeth.

Get ahold of a du-bro slip bobber knot kit, it has a tool for tying many different knots and comes with a spool of line for slip bobber knots. I think I payed 4.99 for mine.

I know Fleet Farm used to carry them(maybe they still do but I don't know for sure). I personally didn't care for the kit(line is too thick so that the fishing line hangs up on it when you cast).

If anyone nows where to get some of the larger beads with the small hole(used to come with bobber stops). When using thin diameter 6lb test the line often slips through the bead.