• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger Size

UMC

What are some pros and cons of the various sizes of auger drills from 6-10"? Weight, speed of cutting, landing fish, etc.? I have a 10" at the moment but was thinking of dropping down for less weight and ease of cutting for hole-hopping...mostly a panfisherman.

There is absolutely no need for a 10" auger unless your going for 25-50 lb lakers. During tourney's we are using 5" holes and 6" if you know there are a really good chance for a crappie over 15 inches.

With that said you can't beat a DeWalt XR 20v Drill/Clam Drill Plate and a 5 inch lazer auger. I'm still averaging 80 holes a 4.0ah battery last weekend and total its only coming in at less than 14lbs.

For you average panfisherman though I would say 6 inches is perfect.

There is absolutely no need for a 10" auger unless your going for 25-50 lb lakers. During tourney's we are using 5" holes and 6" if you know there are a really good chance for a crappie over 15 inches.

With that said you can't beat a DeWalt XR 20v Drill/Clam Drill Plate and a 5 inch lazer auger. I'm still averaging 80 holes a 4.0ah battery last weekend and total its only coming in at less than 14lbs.

For you average panfisherman though I would say 6 inches is perfect.

What he said.

What he said.

What he said.

I run a 6" HT PA-6 hand auger on a Milwaukee 18v Fuel hammerdrill with an adapter and a 4ah battery, and I can get about 300 inches of ice on a charge. I'm expecting that to go up when I get my auger sharpened, it's much too far overdue.

I've attached a video of me demonstrating the combo. Cleared almost 30" of ice in about 14 seconds.

Milwaukee Auger Drill

Years ago I went to buy a 10" auger. They were out of them and I was excited to get an auger that day. I settled for a 9". I love it. Of course it's a little heavier than an 8" but makes a great sized hole in my house. If I was moving out on the ice I would probably go back to my 7".

Started with a strikemaster 9". They warranted that thought I still needed a big hole got a 10" bit worked for a couple years. Then decided I wanted 8" drilling way to many big holes. Now I run 6"' almost all the time. Still have other bits but only go bigger than 6"'if I really think i got a chance or am targeting northerns.

Crappy the 7 is a good all around size. With the Mora the 7 and 8 are the same auger with the size of the blades the only difference. If you can have him make the adapter 6 inches long.

Bee my adapter should be here Tuesday thanks again for the help. I plan to use the Clam extension on it, that will give me a built in extension and I can ajust the length of the auger as needed. It will still be lighter than the stock Nils.

Changed from 10" to 8" and I lose less crappies in the hole. 10" gives a crappie too much room to dart back down if they come unbuttoned at the top of the hole cuz they sense all that open water...8" often times they just freeze at the top if they come unbuttoned cuz they feel the sides more often than not...been my observation over the years.

I use a 7" and it works fine. The only thing I don't like about it is that when its really cold and the wind is blowing the holes I punch for hole hopping close up quickly. That being said, on those windy and bitter cold days an 8" works fine.