• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

AIS training and sticker law how serious are we about the repeal effort

waker

Read statute 86B.13. This program is different than the other AIS laws. Copied directly from the trailer decal statute:

(e) Violation of this section shall not result in a penalty, but is punishable only by a warning

The AIS laws referenced in the DNR link are not pertaining to the training and decal laws.

So there is basically NO NEED to get this sticker because there is no penalty for not having one.

With this being the case, why would anyone PAY to get a sticker?

That would be like saying: You need a license to fish, but if you don't have one, we'll just give you a warning. I wonder how long it will be before the DNR officers decide they have better things to do than issue warnings day after day to the same people.

Describing this as "CRAZY" is being way to kind.

Mike

I'm a little late to this party, but I need to clarify so items of contention. DO NOT TAKE THIS Message AS SUPPORT OF THIS LAW.

There are two bills for repeal of the AIS Law in each the House and Senate. HF 0050, HF 0184, SF 0085, SF 0235. There are companion bills in each house to modify language. HF 1065 and SF 0669. The last two have been subject to language changes since introduction and here are some of the changes as of today.

Aquatic invasive species trailer decal.

The commissioner shall issue, at

no cost to the person, an aquatic invasive species trailer decal for each trailer owned by a

person that satisfactorily completes the required course of instruction.

(a) Beginning

January 1, 2016, a person may not transport launch watercraft or water-related equipment,

as defined under section 84D.01, subdivision 18a, into waters of the state, as defined

in section 84D.01, subdivision 20, with a trailer unless the person has an aquatic

invasive species trailer decal or training validation issued under this section. Temporary

authorizations valid for seven 14 days can be requested by persons that have not completed

the required course of instruction.

(e) Violation of this section shall not result in a penalty, but is punishable only by

a warning. Unless otherwise provided by law, a person is exempt from the training and

decal requirements under this section if the person:

(1) holds a valid service provider permit under section 84D.108; or

(2) is using a trailer to launch water-related equipment that has been seasonally

stored on riparian property owned by the person and that is being directly returned to the

same water body from which the water-related equipment was removed.

A person launching water-related equipment into waters of the

state who fails to display an aquatic invasive species trailer decal or training validation

in violation of this section is subject to the penalty under section 84D.13, subdivision 5,

paragraph (a), clause (8), except for any violations prior to January 1, 2017, which are

punishable only by a warning.

I tried to highlight all the appropriate changes, but in case I missed some, I would encourage everyone to go to the legislative HSOforum and read the bills. Then contact your legislator to express your opinion.

One more I missed. Penalty.

A person launching water-related equipment into waters of the

state who fails to display an aquatic invasive species trailer decal or training validation

in violation of this section is subject to the penalty under section 84D.13, subdivision 5,

paragraph (a), clause (8), except for any violations prior to January 1, 2017, which are

punishable only by a warning.

In order to get this sticker you have to complete a course which, (correct me if I'm wrong) is not FREE. You have to in essence, pay a fee to get the sticker, which you don't really need because they are not going to fine you but ONLY give you a warning.

Mike

Thanks, hayseed. That clarification got me straightened out, after all the stuff I'm reading on it, trying to keep informed, I was sure there was a fine. I stand better informed and corrected.

Now, if they'd stop writing all this stuff.....the more I go over it the more confused I get. crazy

In order to get this sticker you have to complete a course which, (correct me if I'm wrong) is not FREE. You have to in essence, pay a fee to get the sticker, which you don't really need because they are not going to fine you but ONLY give you a warning.

Mike

Originally there was a fee for the course. Unknown if there will be a fee once the law is finalized. Looks to me like the course will be free as well, but that's my interpretation and I'm no lawyer.

The penalty don't take effect until 2017 under wording currently in SF 0669 and HF 1065.

Penalty fines are also in the new wording. If wanted I can post that as well.

Here's a link to the language: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.ph...ssion_year=2015

Thanks for posting that info Hayseed.

If this revisor bill stands the fine would be $25 plus court cost and fees making it closer to $100.

There will be no fee to this program but that does not mean its free. At a cost of $400,000 a year to run this program the money has to come from somewhere.

Right now the DNR has haulted the exsisting program until everything is settled either repealed or rivised.

As the repealers sit on the desk of senator Marty's desk of the enviromental and energy committe probably wont see a hearing and just wither away.

Same with the revisor bill in the house sitting on Rep Hackbarth's desk in the Mining & Outdoor Recration policy committe.

Marty wants it revised Hackbarth wants it repealed. Being both are chairs of a committe were looking at a possible stalemate where nothing gets resolved.

The question is who gives in and what will the DNR do if nothing is resolved.