• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ELECTRIC SMOKER

jps

My propane Masterbuilt works pretty good, but I struggle with smoked eggs because I can't get the temp low enough. To get it right I have to open the vent and the door, which lets a lot of the smoke escape. I still do them but I'm likely not getting the full smokey flavor....maybe that's why Mrs. SkunkedAgain likes them. They aren't too smokey!

You'll be happy with whatever you get, will realize that each type has its flaws, and learn to live with them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Meco barrel type electric smoker. It is my first one. I got it because it was inexpensive and and was told electric is the easiest which is right up my ally. I love it. I have made salmon, turkeys, snack sticks, pork butts and have been happy with all. The colder outside the better for mine though because I have a hard time getting the chips to smoke at low temps because the element doesn't have to be on long enough to maintain temp. I did a pork but last Sunday when it was freezing out and it worked great. Just had to throw a old sweatshirt over it the last hour to get the temp up a little higher.

Electrics are great to learn the basics of smoking. I started with one and out grew it quickly. I purchased a Rec Tec pellet smoker last year and I love it. I use it up north at our cabin and I wanted something I could set, and then go out on the boat and not worry about it, or have long over night cooks. You get that plus a true "burn" if you will. The smoke rings are amazing.

http://www.rectecgrills.com/

I will be adding a true stick burner soon though. I want to master both.

woot.com has a 30" electric masterbuilt as their deal of the day for $110

thats the smaller one and no digital readout. walmart has the nicer one for 150 right now.

free value shipping also it looks like. heck of a deal. amazon also, 150 with prime.

I would think you could just put it on the bottom rack since you just light it and let it smoke. I thought about getting one for cold smoking a few things. I dont see a reason to use it with the element on since the wood chips smoke dandy. Let us know how you like it if you get one.

fishing4life,

I have a MES 30 and also have the a-maze-n pellet smoker. I use it for all of my smoking needs.. Love it. You can get 9-10 hours of smoke if you fill the maze. It sits just to the left of the heating element and chip tube. You will need to make a tin foil tent to cover the pellet smoker during meat smokes due to the juices dripping on the pellets. I see Fleet is now selling the tubes and pellet smokers...

eyeguy54,

Yeah it will go for that long without having to add any pellets. I will start in the morning with 2-3 hours of cold smoking cheese then crank up the heating element and do whatever meats I am wanting to that day. If you don't burn up all of the pellets you can take the remaining pellets and use them at a later time.

I used to run a pellet tray but bought a pellet tube just because I was tired of baby sitting the tray. I can get 4-5 hours of smoke from the 12" tube and when I am doing pork butts, I will remove the tube, refill it and start it up again. I love the tube better than the tray

the water tray is for water. smile sounds like more important in the vertical smokers to help maintain temp. Not important in the side smokers, from what I have read. (please let me keep my man card)... wink I dont use the water pan for eggs or fish. the masterbuilt 30 at walmart has no meat probe, digi readout on top for smoker temp. I use a wireless one. I dont use it on most stuff I smoke. birds or pork butt for sure use one.

that's a virgin smoker for sure.

Mine looks like it's never been cleaned, which it hasn't. Maybe the grates were licked by a dog once.

I never use the water tray except to catch grease and sometimes make drip beans.

I have the 40" stainless with the window. I also use the Amazen smoker....for about 3 years now. If you lite both ends of the maze you get about 4 hrs of good smoke. I have not used my water tray for anything other than collecting the drippings since I got the amazen smoker and have never had anything dry out on me.

from a bbq site

Water pans

Some smokers, like the Weber Smokey Mountain, come with a water pan. Water pans are not designed for making gravy although you can use it for that if it is clean. In my articles on the best setups for different grills and smokers, I advocate using a water pan under the meat or over the fire for smoking. Here's why:

1) Water helps you keep the air temp down to 225°F, a temp I recommend you learn to hit with regularity (read my article on calibration). In a vertical smoker like the Weber Smokey Mountain, where the water is directly above the coals, the water will never go higher than the boiling point, 212°F. That's a law of physics. In many other cookers, like a Weber kettle, where the water pan is along side the coals or at a distance, even if the air temp is 225°F, the water will not likely go above 180°F because it cools as it evaporates, a process called evaporative cooling. The AmazingRibs.com science advisor Dr. Greg Blonder explains it thus "Think of a hiker in Death Valley where the desert floor can be 140°F. Hikers will not get hotter than about 100°F because their sweat cools them."

2) Water helps stabilize the temp in the cooker and minimize fluctuations because water temp takes longer to rise and fall than air.

3) A water pan can block direct flame when you need to cook with indirect heat.

4) A water pan becomes a single radiating surface and evens out hot spots.

5) Water vapor mixes with combustion gasses to improve the flavor.

6) Water vapor condenses on the meat and makes it "sticky" allowing more smoke to adhere. This smoke enhances flavor and sodium nitrite in the smoke creates the smoke ring.

7) The pan can add humidity to the atmosphere in the cooker to help keep the oven from drying out your food. This can vary significantly depending on the design of the cooker. If you place a water pan a few inches below the meat in a pellet cooker, the water does not get very hot, and it will have little effect. In an offset or bullet smoker, with the water pan directly above the coals, it can make a significant difference in how much water evaporates from within the meat and how moist the meat will be. Also, if there is an oil slick on the water, it cannot evaporate.

8) The humidity keeps the meat moister and that slows cooking as the moist surface evaporates and cools the meat. This allows more time for connective tissues and fats to melt.

Try to use hot water. Cold water will cool your oven down a lot and should only be used if you are running hot and need to cool it down. And fill the pan to just below the lip so you don't have to keep opening the lid to refill. Put it above the hottest place in your cooker so more water will evaporate.

What goes in the water pan?

Pitmasters argue over what should go in the water pan. Not surprising since we argue about everything, even the meaning of the word barbecue. Some say beer, wine, apple juice, onions, spices, and herbs. Some folks like to put sand, dirt, gravel, or terra cotta in the water pan. What works best? There's a reason it is called a water pan.