• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building a hunting shack

walleyeking19

Well we purchased hunting land last fall and recently put in a driveway and spot for our new hunting shack, but we still haven't figured out what we are gonna do for one. Last year we stayed in a fish house, and that was cramped (and smelly).

So how big do we need it to be? Right now it's just 4 of us, but in about 10-15 years I expect my kids (and my brothers kids) to be with us. We are thinking 20x30, nothing fancy, just a kitchen, a seating area and some beds in the corner. In the future we'd build a bunkhouse or something to accommodate more people.

Also, where do you go to find something kinda pre-fabricated and ready to be put together? We dont want to pay an arm and a leg for it, and we'd set do as much work as possible to save some money.

Any tips or anything that you guys have experienced with your shacks would be awesome too! Thanks!

Before you spend a lot more money you may want to consider what sorts of things may come up in the future regarding ownership, assuming there are at least two separate families involved. What happens when one family wants to get out of the deal? How do you figure out who gets to use it when? What if someone wants to do some sort of improvement and the other doesn't? One of the biggest headaches facing folks where there are several families involved in owning recreational property is how to sort these types of things out. You may not have a problem for 20+ years but when you do it could have a big impact on the relationships.

Before you spend a lot more money you may want to consider what sorts of things may come up in the future regarding ownership, assuming there are at least two separate families involved. What happens when one family wants to get out of the deal? How do you figure out who gets to use it when? What if someone wants to do some sort of improvement and the other doesn't? One of the biggest headaches facing folks where there are several families involved in owning recreational property is how to sort these types of things out. You may not have a problem for 20+ years but when you do it could have a big impact on the relationships.

It's not seperate families owning this, it's myself, my dad and my 2 brothers. We all paid 1/4 of the price and all own the exact same amount, so no one has more pull in an argument than anyone else. We are in the process of setting up a contract type document that puts it all in writing, so just in case there is a problem we will be okay.

We really don't plan on doing anything major to the land beyond building this shack and maybe a food plot or two. It was good land when we bought it, so why screw it up.

We have done just as you are planning. Built a 24x24 shell and insulated and put bunks across one side. Built on a foundation of railroad ties. Propane heater and an old range to start. A couple years later we partitioned it off and sheet rocked the inside. Has worked well for us.

Lots of options available including finding a shed or outbuilding and paying to have it moved. You could purchase some of the kit garage or outbuildings or find a mobile/modular home. There are also some nice large campers that can be had for fairly cheap, less than a building, and come with a furnace, sink and beds.

As far as the "its all in the family, so there are no problems" argument, I would caution that is usually the most likely situation that falls apart, especially with your dad being a part of the deal. I would for sure get some sort of document in writing explaining what will happen when your father passes and if one of you chooses to sell or leave the agreement. Everyone has events in their life that might push them to sell their portion in order to leave or just because they need the money to pay for life expenses.

I've seen this happen twice in family-owned land situations already and I'm only 35. The reason for the plan is to account for the unthinkable. nobody expects to get cancer, lose their job, get in an accident, etc. WHen it does, it would seem pretty easy to "sell" your share of the land and think you can keep hunting with your family because they are your family. A trust or other legal document will protect the land for everyone. ALso, some hunt camp rules will help keep things civil when new friends and "buddies" start getting invited to the land.

An example of what one problem can be at a time of transition. How do you determine value? Purchase price? Purchase price plus costs of improvements? What improvements count - buildings, electric and well, food plots? Should it be the current value of the setup at an arms length sale? What if the market is suppressed as it was 3-5 years ago and the value is well below the money that has been put into it?

Coming up with the dough could be a problem no matter what method you chose. You may want to specify that it has to be paid out over a set period of time. Getting a loan on recreational property could be difficult. There could even be a cascade sort of thing. For instance if one person wants out and one of the remaining folks can't come up with the dough - so suddenly 2 want out.

It isn't a question of if this type of thing is going to come up. It is simply when will it come up.

We went with the mobile home option 10 yrs ago and would do the same again. We ended with a 3 bedroom 14x70 for under $9000. Had it moved in and set up in one day, which was a nice option. We've tweaked the inside since then, so sleeping up to 10 people is a none issue. Just another option to consider. Taz