• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ecoboost re gear.

Every Ford F150 tire cups? what a ridiculous statement. I've had 11 Ford F 150's since 1981 and I've never had a tire that cupped. My son has had 3 Ford trucks and the same info. Whoever that dealer is that made that statement is giving you false info.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I was throwing the talk Flag! I am going to call MY dealer when i get time next week and see what they say and maybe have them do an alignment. My friend( a mechanic) looked at it and said when he worked at the talk dealership. The guys hated to do alignments so they wouldn't do it 100%.

He said he would do an alignment for me at his shop. So I will be talking to him about that and see if I can make it through the summer and get new tires in the fall so FOR SURE I will align it then.

Anyone have any good tires they like?

Michelin seems to be the most talked about on this, or any other site. That could be one of your problems as well as cupping can be caused by poor quality tires, along with suspension or alignment issues, another one could be improper inflation or poorly balanced tires.

I rotate tires every oil change single I change at 5000 miles. NO problems. If you're getting cupping, get an alignment.

I just made a trip to Nebraska and back with some camping gear, but otherwise unloaded. I drove 70-80mph the whole trip on interstates and I got 16.8mpg average with my ecoboost maxtow crew 6.5'box. When I was running in the 55mph zones, the truck computer said 19mpg and its always been within 3-4 tenths.

My 5.4 nor my 6.0 diesel could match that. The only thing that came close was my 7.3 diesel. CONsidering the price of diesel, I'm still coming out ahead. Throw in the 36 gallon fueltank and I could've made the entire trip on one tank of gas.

I just bought a 15 Ecoboost crewcab. Only 300 miles on it so I can't add anything to the mix yet. Just got back today in my Brother-in-laws 2013 Eco crewcab 3.55 gears, about 56,000 miles on the engine after a weekend trip to Madison for graduation. Five of us and a loaded back end 5.5 bed. He has the long range tanks and we made the trip there and back on one tank. Averaged 22.2mpg for the trip driving 68mph. Heavy traffic and some stop and go both directions. No wind on Friday drive, strong wind today. I hope mine ends up doing as well.

Mine is due for tires and I haven't really decided what to get yet. I need a tire that tows well that can handle itself offroad and in the snow. I tend to lean towards the "traction" needs more than anything else, although it hurts mileage. 

I just finished another road trip and averaged 19.8 mpg. 40K miles on the truck. 

I ended up buying the E-rated Goodyear Duratracs. I know lots of guys that have used them for their trucks and really liked them. Everyone I talked said they are magic in the snow and mud and thats what I want. My job requires me to be at work, on time every time so traction in any condition is required. It doesn't hurt that I have that extra insurance when I hit the hunting trails. They have a bit of a hum compared to the road tires, but they look good and ride very well. ~$250 a tire. Unfortunately that's about par for truck tires nowadays. 

I will need tires before Winter.  I'm going with  Michelin LTX M/S 2

​Well, went to the store on Thursday night and had a nail in my tire that was outside the steel belt, so that accelerated my need for tires.  I took advantage of the 4th of July sale and picked up these tires.  Nice and smooth ride.

Anybody have any mileage updates?

I am trying to talk myself into a new supercrew 3.5EB, HD tow package, 3.73, etc.  I am coming from a Duramax of 6 years and think this might be the only half ton that will not make me regret my decision.  The reports of single digit numbers pulling the fish house concern me.

1 hour ago, Down2Earth said:

I pull a 21ft Rv edition tandem axel fish house and average 11mpg.  However I did post a trip I took down south and back with it I believe 600 miles and averaged 23mpg empty and unless it's the winter I average above 20 or very close to it per tank.   I have the exact same truck package but I do only have the short box.  I made the switch from a lifetime of GMC's, all half tons, and I'm very happy.  Get the tail gait step.  But I wouldn't ever compare it to a Duramax.

What speeds are you pulling your house that you see 11 mpg?

On June 23, 2016 at 0:19 PM, huntingislife said:

Anybody have any mileage updates?

I am trying to talk myself into a new supercrew 3.5EB, HD tow package, 3.73, etc.  I am coming from a Duramax of 6 years and think this might be the only half ton that will not make me regret my decision.  The reports of single digit numbers pulling the fish house concern me.

I did the reverse of you (Ecoboost to Duramax).  I had the highest mileage (2011) Ecoboost in the 7 state area when I traded it in just over a year ago (110k+ on a 2011).  I tracked every tank, and was 100% happy with that truck.  I traded it in for a Duramax as an experiment (details were posted above).  

You'll probably be in the single digits towing your wheel house, but it depends solely on your speed.  If you tow at 60mph max you might get 11-12 on your best day.  If you go the speed limit, you're looking at 7-9.  You'll have no problems (power wise) up to that 6,000 # range.  Over that, you'll want a diesel regardless of what Ford says it'll tow.     

20-22+ should be doable as an empty average on a long road trip under 80mph.  

Towing an aluminum boat was 16-17.

After 14 months I have 43k on my Duramax, and my mileage is virtually identical to the Ecoboost, aside from the wheel house and towing.  I get about 11-12mpg loaded heavy and driving fast.  I saw 16mpg with my wheel house once.  Mostly less than that.  18 is my average as an everyday mix of city/highway.  Just got back from a 3,000 mile road trip and got 22 average.  My best 50 mile average is 34.2 mpg.  That's not reality, but I routinely hit 25-27+.  It's a huge tank (36 gallons), so you hit a wide variety of conditions over the 600+ miles a tank will carry you.  

I'm about 80% happy with this truck.  The navigation is akin to trying to compare the telephone with a soup can and string.  I had cheap Garmin-type systems in 2005 that would blow this away.  The Chevy paint is garbage.  The chrome is worse.  I have rust in 3 spots on my front bumper.  Fit and finish and comfort go to the Ford for sure.    

What I like is the ease of maintenance.  Access to all aspects of routine maintenance are uninhibited.  I can spin a filter wrench all the way around, and not break knuckles.  I expected similar operating costs with the Ecoboost vs Duramax, but in order to make the maintenance costs make sense, I had to do my own routine stuff.  It's worked very well.    

I have zero brand loyalty to Ford or Chevy, but I'd go back to a Ford in a second if I could get the Duramax/Allison combo in it.  I can't, so I'll be sticking it out with this Chevy for the foreseeable future.

I'd advise that if you only tow 5,000#+ a few thousand mile per year, go Ecoboost.  If more than that, stick with the Duramax.