• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lyme disease shots.

pheasantpro10

I just had my lab neutered and dew claws removed "poor pup" but was curious about who's gotten the lyme disease shot for there dog and if they still put on frontline or if they just trust the shot that it works. I was surprised that they offered this so I went ahead and did it. Thanks

My dog goes in on Monday to get snipped. Did you have an option for some sort of blood work before they got snipped? Bet said something about this today on the phone and was curious.

To your question I still did the flea and tick for precautions. First dog though so could be overdoing it

we always had the shot and used frontline, My dog still got Lymes two seperate times. After the 2nd time we stopped giving him the shot and just kept up using frontline. One thing we did learn is the first month you put on frontline it really does not do much good. So we start using it one month before we think he needs it. Rick

even if there was no such thing as Lymes' disease I'd use some sort of tick control so don't have to pick so many off of the dog. I've used all sorts of frontline or similar products and last year tried a collar named Seresto. It lasted about six months and worked very well. Check it out for yourself.

I was offered the blood test but I didn't do it. The vet told me that ticks start to show up around 40 degrees I wouldn't have guessed that just thought I would throw that out there. I had no idea that they were out at that temperature. Thanks again for your help.

I have the benefit of a vet tech wife who has very good vets to consult with. All 3 of my ess test positive for lymes. Each spring they get tested and if levels are elevated they will go on a month of antibiotics. They get the shot. I know the shots are not 100%, my brother had 4 yr old lab die last year from lymes, and she had the shot. I saw my brothers devastation on having to put down a dog in its prime because of lymes. If the shot helps even 40% of the time it's worth it.

not to hyjack this thread but when i read about one going in to get snipped. i felt i should bring this up.. i had my lab done in early jan. and he came home with a empty sack that still isnt gone away.. since then i have watched a series on netflix , dr polh who is a vet.. and when he done castrations he took out the middle skin which would make a neater looking job to me.. so it might be something you ask your vet before it gets done if you have a look your after..

We had 1 dog with lymes and another diagnosed with anaplasmosis all while on the shot and Frontline. So last year I dabbled with nexgard with the new pup and so far so good. The only downside seems the next day after taking it he seemed kind of low on energy, but after some rest he was good to go. Although I wouldn't mind trying the collar protection this year.

Lyme shots every for my dogs (fyi it is Lyme, not Lymes, I was corrected by my doctor when I got it). The vaccine is a little bit star trekish, it goes into outside the dog and into the tick to kill the spirochetes. They made for humans for awhile, I opted not to get it and then it was pulled from the market, they said it was not a big seller....

The snipping discussion reminds me of a great episode on Marred with Children. Poor dogs, I have never had a dog snipped.

If your dog is not of excellent genes, with quality hips, elbows and eyes and you are not breeding him, why not neuter? Poor dog? Run a hard charging intact male in December through cattail swamps and briar patches for 2-3 days and when they are beet red and bleeding and even he won't touch them, ask yourself "poor dog"?

I get that, I had one dog's sack freeze one time hunting below zero in Iowa. Turned black after that, I was still entering him in AKC field trials at the time and planning on breeding him. Ultimately, never did breed him, not sure it would have been worth snipping him when I decided not too. The dogs I have now go through breed tests to prove they are good enough to breed, they also have to be certified related to their hips, etc. I am actually training a 9 month old for the spring and fall breed tests now.

I have 3 male field bred springers, 2 that i have field trialed, 2 have sires that are NFC and the other only has sire of FC. My 3yr old's sire is 2xNFC and his mother is FC AFC,he is neutered after a slight irregularity was found in one of his hips which i would not want possibly pass on to any of his pups. All 3 are incredible bird dogs but each has at least one thing i would love to change, so i have choosen not to breed them for the betterment of the breed. Its only my opinion but when i hear someone say i bred my dog because it a "good hunter'', makes me cringe. Leave the breeding to people who breed the best to the best, and are looking out for the breed. This is only my opionion and I'm sure some will disagree.

10 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

Thought I would bring this thread back to life. We were ( a few years back) frontline fans but since this thread came out been hooked on seresto collars. No ticks or fleas on the pooches,  here or at the cabin.  What are you guys using ?

Where do you get these? How much? Frontline is what I have been using on Finn , but it’s a pain. The big oil spot takes so long to dry.

i get Finn the Lyme shot every year.