• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cross Threaded Regulator

Hawg

I might be overthinking this again. In a hurry when it was very cold I might have cross threaded one side of an auto changeover regulator, it was tough tightening but I was cold and impatient. A couple people have told me there's nothing you can do, Teflon tape-pipe dope-nothing, to keep that side from leaking. I have to think at last resort JB weld would have to work.?. Any body else think its shot? I haven't been out enough since I did it to need the second 40# tank. I'll putz with it this morning on my grill and try some soapy water and look for bubbles.

All you need to do is replace the pigtail off the regulator. Pretty simple fix, no reason to try and fix wrecked pigtail. You would have as much money into JB weld or time into fixing it as it would cost for a new pigtail.

If its an auto change over regulator, why were you dicking with it anyway?? Shouldn't it just change over to the second tank when the first tank runs dry? And why would it be the regulator threads and not the pigtail threads??

When I bought my IC it only had a single regulator, one pigtail, but two tanks. It didn't take me long to realize that I'd be out in the cold at o'dark thirty changing the tanks over when the tank ran out so I made some changes ASAP.

Went to the local camper place, bought a dual regulator, another pigtail, and now both tanks are hooked up and it swaps to the second tank automatically. When I get home, I check the regulator gauge, if its red, I switch it over and fill the empty tank - at my leisure.

I was "dicking with it" because the two hoses that go to the tanks usually don't come with most regulators. So you have two regulators on your house?

No the one I bought is just one regulator with two pigtails, one going to each LP tank, with a gauge on it. When the gauge turns red, it automatically switches to the other full tank. When you see the red you switch it over to the tank its now using, gauge turns green, and you fill the empty tank when you get home. Do a search on two stage rv propane regulators or goto your local RV place, they'll be able to help you. I paid about $50 for the new dual automatic regulator. Plus I had to buy a second pigtail.

Good luck.

That's the style Mr Heater exchanged for me because of the number of complaints they had. That same unit is sold with a lot different company names on it. This one looks a lot more substantial. Those two hoses usually come separate and that's where I screwed up. It's re-tapped and perfect again. I have to say good things about Mr Heater, they took the initiative to replace the first one when I was just calling to ask a question, then I screwed up the replacement.