• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake trout blanks

Hey everyone, I'm fishing for some info on what blanks you have used for ice fishing lake trout rods. I've made them on Thorne Bros. graphite blanks and other solid graphite blanks in the past. I'm really curious as two any information on fiberglass blanks that can be worked into a lake trout rod. Thanks!

I just ordered 5 of the Batson .385x.105x72 solidglass series to make into laker rods. That was the most suggested blank while doing searches for lake trout ice rods that I came across.

Yup... very good blank for lakers. I trimmed 2' off the butt end and built it with a 12" split grip handle. The blank has plenty of power but still has a good bend when fighting a fish to keep it pinned. The perfect 1/2 oz tube jig blank IMO.

The blank is like $10 from get bit outdoors, but shipping will be $15 so you'll save if you can order a bunch at once. Midwest Rod and Reel may have them in stock locally if you're in the twin cities.

IMG_20141216_181354_197_zps5936788f.jpg

P1010103_zps0da7f6d0.jpg

I used two of the Batson blanks based on the earlier posts from Midwest. Cut them down to 39" to fit in my Otter Rod case and did an acid wrap with Calcutta reels. Just got back from NW Ontario and these rods are sweet! Handled 4-10 lb lakers with no problem, lure weights from 1/2 - 3 oz probably could handle more if you needed it but not optimal. Was really fun wintching in 18 lb jacks. Going to buy many more.

Also my buddy had a St Croix Avid Ice Air MH 36" that seems to handle them well but I'm not finding them on St Croix's HSOforum.

Old post I know but I'm curious what guides and tip Fred_Bear used on his rod. I would like to build one for pike and lake trout. Know better time to get ready than in the summer.