• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 ford f150 noise help?

Hi I just got to drive the truck today its my wifes. when you drive it on the road it feels rough like the front end has a howl to it. almost like noisy tires but when i put new tires on it was fine. it runs and drives fine the front pumpkin fluid looks fine trans shifts good and crisp. sometimes if i try to turn the wheels to the left or right it seems to get a little better but not great any one have a idea what it could be

Hi I just got to drive the truck today its my wifes. when you drive it on the road it feels rough like the front end has a howl to it. almost like noisy tires but when i put new tires on it was fine. it runs and drives fine the front pumpkin fluid looks fine trans shifts good and crisp. sometimes if i try to turn the wheels to the left or right it seems to get a little better but not great any one have a idea what it could be

So are the tires new and the noise is gone? If the tires are new and the noise is still there, I would say wheel bearing or axle not disengaging.

If you jack up each side and spin the wheel by hand you should be able to hear which bearing is bad. Usually when they get loud enough that the customer can hear them they are pretty loud.

Also when you are spinning the wheels feel the tire tread. If it is cupped it will make a similar sound to a wheel bearing but the noise will not change when turning side to side. A tire rotation can also help determine if it is the tires or the bearings. If the noise moves to the rear or gets noticeably different than the tires would be the suspect.

Jeremy you were right on. I had to take it in the front tires were starting to to cup. a rotate and noise went away however they looked over the truck and said the shocks,tie rod ends, ball joints had all been replaced. I have rotated every 6000 miles they said some tires will do that if not rotated enough he's been or tech for years so i believe him. thanks for the help. Should I rotate more often?

I had a Monte Carlo that was extremely loud on the road and i was convinced it was wheel bearings since the tires only had 40k on them. After replacing both wheel bearings and still loud, replaced tires and was quiet as a church mouse.