• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it snow gooese season yet!!!!!!!!

Mounts look great Bryce.  From what I heard all summer and from what i saw this fall late season about the hatch,  the spring is going to be very tough this year, hatch was not good, watched a half dozen huge feeds in Nov. and couldn't pick out as young bird in the bunch..

2015%20nd%20106_zpsqvoc7yze.jpg

We hunt where the east and west birds start to split. Sounds like the west birds had an ok hatch. Only saw a few flocks starting to migrate this fall but there were some dirty ones mixed in. Fully prepared to pound my head against anything firm though. They are snow geese. Even a full flock of juvies can make you look foolish. 

389,375 I think to be exact, I'd like to talk to the individual who is getting that accurate of a count lol. Said 2/8. Time to get my ducks in a row for that event realizing we're 2 months away or less roughly weather pending etc. where I go. We're fired up, up to 500 full bodies and 500 socks and a trailer to boot with a 8 speaker ecaller system we homemade, fliers and rotary machines now to put it on the spot. 2 cases of shells per guy and I can only pray it's as good as last year even 1/2 as good would be great. But there's always a lot of variables mainly cold fronts. 

It's been a nuthouse for us in ND, roosts getting jumped, as soon as a feed forms it's jumped immediately, complete opposite from last year. We set 1,100 decoys, etc. and had a feed in the field we were set up in about 500 yards away, this feed was working toward us rather quickly, ditch jumpers flushed it even though it was on posted land, the next AM a roost formed nicely at dark into the night about a mile away and that got jumped at daybreak so it's been a frustrating couple of weeks in ND.

Haha at least I'm in MN today my buddies got messed with this AM haha boys in all honesty not because it's a ton of work with the 4 wheeler and jet sleds running decoy loads, fliers, flags,blinds,ammo,guns,silosocks, fullbodies, clothes coolers etc. setting up is a rough in the dark deal kinda and their roost got surrounded and flushed immediately this AM, their roost because it was posted, farmer says "no 1 should touch my posted ground"  but mattered not once again as some who have likely had previous permission just do it up anyway, farmer guy is 83 years old and not likely running off these guys at 6AM or whatever and the leader of the roost jump likely knows that, don't worry guys, he's 83. They did get 6 birds later I guess and likely would've only got 1 good bashing as the roost formed a little closer to the field they were hunting then we like it to be within 2 miles.  But, I'm off for ND once again praying for a decent hunt at least one of the next 4 days. Will be in goose camp soon enough talking to my disgruntled ND buddies.

We had a better experience this go round and shot a lot more birds although not a ton. Friday we got 13, Saturday stunk only 4, and Sunday got 11. I guess 28 for the wkd with a friend isn't awful and we could've shot a little better at times. I'm certainly thanking the specklebellied geese for what we got as they fly lower and often had 2-4 Ross' with em and I'd flag the specks as hard as I could(if there was any white in the flock) which brought the Rosco's right over us at least some of the time. But we had a mixture of adults, Juvie's and Rosco. Specks really helped us this wkd bring birds over for looks and following them some and some would peel off into our spread. We had one speck flock of 200 or so with only 2 Rosco's, the whole swarm came over us low as ever and just couldn't fire at those 2 as Specks would've gotten hit also, but what a sight they buzzed us maybe 20 feet off the deck. Did not see but a few hunters and heard very minimal shooting. No ditch jumpers this wkd, I'd sure like to put in an all day sit tomorrow.   

Our last go round got 52 of em but had to defend our "posted" field to the hilt was a mix of adults roscos and juvies  idk but sure had a lot of run ins with roost/field jumpers this year which is fine but please come talk to us we'd likely let you join us type deal, not flush the field were waiting on em, to go to water then set up, fields we've sipped coffee with the landowner earlier deal but was a muddy mess but lots of fun for April !