• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it snow gooese season yet!!!!!!!!

Learn my schedule early next week. Bidding a large landfill expansion with a tight deadline that may cut my season short. Just read an article about an outfitter in Nebraska. Hunting from permanent pits sounds like a nice break from the ground blind. May look into it for late Feb-first week of March. Work dependant will find me at camp on nodak-sodak border right after St. Patrick's Day. This video could be taken every 3-4 miles during big migration days.

Hard to get excited with this weather. Looks like the floodgates may open the middle of next week. Work looks like it will allow a somewhat normal season. Classes tie up the week before St. Patrick's and the first 2 days of that week so Sodak pretty much a no go. March 18th will find me at Nodak camp on my back looking south. Time to get the gear looked over and order more decoys and ecaller parts. Waiting for wifey to commit to Waubay or Devil's Lake fishing trip before trying to schedule a heated pit hunt in Nebraska for the gate opening.

Got the last spot open for March 4-6 near the South Platte. Looks like Wednesday will be a get adjusted to the program day. Then the Temps hit 50°. Heated blind with a cook will be a nice way to ease into the season. Article about this hunt in Wildfowl magazine if you have a copy.

I am not an expert, but I would think the big push will blow through SD pretty quick looking at the conditions and the forecast. Which is fine, the big push is fun to see, the juvies that come behind them are fun to hunt.

Drove under geese for 200 miles yesterday. Woke up to single digits and a dusting of snow that was followed up by a stiff nw breeze. Ended up with 8 but the last 45 minutes saved the day. Had one Rossie before that land and absolutely would not leave the spread. Walked right to the hand that grabbed it. All adult birds. Flying heavy over the hotel still. Single digits tonight but a fast warm up tomorrow and wind switching to southerly. Another 35 dozen dekes being deployed as we cleared the field.

Could get used to this breakfast in the blind. Lunch was a smoked pork butt.full-283-53519-20150304_063552.jpg

Time for nap.

Started out promising this morning. Single blazed right on in and then the whole pit put on a far less than stellar marksmanship display on a pair. They were tall but killable and never lost a feather. Had a good amount of traffic but no players until a belt stretching breakfast. After that it was 8 hours of lunch, cookies, and not a single bird in sight. Had some good action after that with several good groups committing. Wind was not in our favor as a good portion of our birds fell on the ice and are not retrievable due to poor ice conditions. Probably the slowest bird total I have ever seen on a spring hunt but by far the highest % of birds seen to decoying. Hope for tomorrow. That's the only way to remain sane chasing these devil birds.

Couple photos. 150 dozen decoys per the guide. Read that as maybe 1500 in real world counting methods. 75%+ full bodies is impressive no matter what the total.

Thought I got to the cleaning room fast but these Wyoming boys sure like their geese. Had the bulk cleaned already. Almost have a pained look on their face when I offer them all of my share and offer to help clean. full-283-53557-20150305_164817.jpg

full-283-53558-20150305_195751.jpg

Last day was a carbon copy. Couple opportunities early then a lull. The end of the lull provided a 16 bird rainout though. Hope the video turned out. Decided to call in a quits shortly after that and knock a couple hours off the drive. Feeds every 10 minutes or so until it got dark west of Grand Island. Pretty quiet this morning. A few super feeds and a couple high flocks and I'm to Omaha already. full-283-53594-20150306_110535.jpg

full-283-53593-20150306_111835.jpg

Yo Bryce just kidding you but you got that pit heated up ? I read the 50 degree temps and nice easing into the season in a heated pit with a cook post from 15 days ago or so lol. Just hit the wet rocks with some sauna water Bryce !

Loaded up and ready to roll. 2 days of work meetings and then nodak bound. Very nice of the company to schedule the meetings at Cabela's so I could have some decoys waiting at the pick up window to help fill the voids. full-283-53949-20150315_175336.jpg