• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR May ban perms

ST. PAUL, MINN. — Permanent deer hunting stands could be banned on state and county forest land.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has proposed tightening restrictions on the permanent stands for a couple of reasons. One is the potential clashes between hunters who build the stands on government property and other hunters who also have a right to use the land.

The DNR says another problem is the illegal cutting of trees to make a shooting lane.

DNR forestry division deputy director Craig Schmid says the agency estimates there are thousands of permanent stands in state forests. The Star Tribune (http://strib.mn/1BnXwuK ) says the DNR manages about 4 million acres of forest land, mostly in northern Minnesota.

Schmid doesn't expect any changes until next year after more public input is gathered. Portable stands would still be allowed.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/permanent-deer-stand...uYZqosYjZFfs.99

Do they not think that these same people who cut down trees for their permanents, wont do the same thing if they are forced to hang a portable in the same location?? I hunt out of both, the party that I hunt with has been hunting the same tax forfeited land for 30 some years. Its public land, and some of those stands have been up for many years. I guess we are fortunate that we have never had any issues with other hunters. We certainly don't act like we own it, Its public land we all have a right to use it.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I think people can still cut shooting lanes as long as the brush and trees are <2-3 inches or something like that? I rarely cut anything bigger than 3 for a shooting lane on private land.

the stand issue was one thing, the cutting shooting lanes was another issue.

We also hunt county tax land and I don't think we've built a permanent stand in ten years. I'd be for the shooting lane thing if they have some size diameter or specie you can't cut. In our area to trim 50 yards of the endless "buck brush" wouldn't seem to harm the forest too much.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I think people can still cut shooting lanes as long as the brush and trees are <2-3 inches or something like that? I rarely cut anything bigger than 3 for a shooting lane on private land.

Never mind about the shooting lanes. I thought that there was a law a few years ago allowing limited cutting, but a quick search shows that none is allowed. I suppose too many people took advantage of it.

I would bet if you took an aerial photo like that of the area we hunt, it would look much the same, only it would be from all the new four wheeler trails that have popped up over the last ten years, but that's another subject, and a touchy one from what I've found out!!

I personally don't like this proposal. My hunting party for the most still uses platform stands on state forest land. Many of the people in our hunting party, and others who have hunted the same land for years, are getting longer in the tooth. Most of the recent changes - including banning the use of ATVs on the state forest we hunt - isn't making it any easier for them to hunt.

Other reasons I don't like the idea:

1) You would have to use a portable, but can leave it out. If the goal is to stop people from "claiming" land, what's the difference? Between archery, firearms and muzzy you could have your portable sitting out there for close to 4 months anyway.

2) If the real issue is cutting shooting lanes, why not address that head-on? I honestly don't know if that's already illegal or not, as I don't cut them.

I guess I am fine with restricting the cutting of shooting lanes as I am sure some use about everything including a chain saw, here in lies the issue. No common sense.

Then the stand issue, I will never understand why some people hunting see a stand that another built and plans on hunting in it and then another jumps in, build your own stand and don't use others, pretty simple.

I have never used a stand built by another but, I guess I do not hunt public land much.

Then the other issue, some build a stand and use it for a few years and then it rots and we have junk timber in the forest, not great there either.

Maybe take a portable in and out when you hunt. One could leave it there unattended if you can trust anyone today as so many will take your stand. Very sad.

First off, I have not built a perm stand. But I just don't like them telling us what we can do on the land we pay them to Um, manage? whistle

ST. PAUL, MINN. — Permanent deer hunting stands could be banned on state and county forest land.

build the stands on government our "Pubic property".

Schmid doesn't expect any changes until next year after more public input is gathered. "Portable stands would still be allowed"

Well thank you Gov overlords! smirk

First off, I have not built a perm stand. But I just don't like them telling us what we can do on the land we pay them to Um, manage? whistle

build the stands on government our "Pubic property".

Schmid doesn't expect any changes until next year after more public input is gathered. "Portable stands would still be allowed"

Well thank you Gov overlords! smirk

So the state and counties want to avoid trees getting cut without getting paid or have them damaged by nails and/or tree steps and it is not managing the land? Sounds like they are managing the land and timber to me. The guys cutting acres of shooting lanes should have to pay for timber value and get charged for theft from the public.

I could care less what they do and if I did have an opinion my chances of getting heard are little.

I will say that when I see an old "deer stand" that is broken and obviously hasn't been used for years the history of that stand always seems kind of cool. I guess I'm saying I envision some guy in 1970 wearing a Red wool coat, smoking a heater with his trusty unscoped 30-30 standing watch for a swamp buck to emerge. All deer were big back then, right?

I don't think anyone should have been allowed to build a permanent stand on public ground anyway. No way you have any superior right to public property than anyone else does.

That's true of course but how is putting up a portable ladder stand any different?

I could care less what they do and if I did have an opinion my chances of getting heard are little.

I will say that when I see an old "deer stand" that is broken and obviously hasn't been used for years the history of that stand always seems kind of cool. I guess I'm saying I envision some guy in 1970 wearing a Red wool coat, smoking a heater with his trusty unscoped 30-30 standing watch for a swamp buck to emerge. All deer were big back then, right?

From the stories my dad and uncles tell, yes! grin

There are still a couple boards on one public 40 that borders us from stands that my uncle used back in the day, which was likely 70s to mid 80s. He passed away back in 91 or 92. I walk by some of them every year. Our fancy store bought platform and ladder stands are close to some of the same spots the old timers had their homemade stands. Some are still just a couple boards nailed to a tree to stand or lean on.

That's true of course but how is putting up a portable ladder stand any different?

Having it there for only a few days or possibly up to a couple months of the year vs. building it to last for 5+ years seems like a difference to me.

I don't think anyone should have been allowed to build a permanent stand on public ground anyway. No way you have any superior right to public property than anyone else does.

When it comes to pursuits such as fishing and hunting, some people are always going to be more territorial than others. Those who think they "own" a spot will still feel that way whether they're sitting in a permanent stand, a portable stand or a ground blind.

The only difference is that you haven't tried to claim that spot in perpetuity. You at least have to go hang the stand, not just assume every year that the spot is always going to be yours. Also, there is of course the arguments over old dilapidated stands and also damage to the trees from perms which are avoided with ladder stands.