• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HSO / Fishing MN

[Editors note: the following are a review of the old forum]

My review so far is that the change is bunk! I hate when you go into the area threads it kicks you to fishingMN, need to log in, and if you click back to forums, it brings you to FishingMN, not back to HSO.

And is FishingMN done? Seems like way more people on HSO...just get rid of one!

[Editors note: Reviews of the new forum start here]

I have to say, I'm a bit confused myself as to the goal of the forum hosts. It would probably make a bit more sense if there was some coherent and regular communication, explaining the whys, whats, and whens. But the reasons for the change and the way it has been done have not been adequately explained or executed. It's not just about the bumpy rollout of this site. It's the whole transition. So much seems illogical. Why two forums that essentially cover the same things???

Edited by Rick

I would like to know WHERE IS EVERONE?  I have yet to see more then 90 users on at ay one time on a site that once boasted hundreds on at any given time during the day or night. :crazy:

I'm guessing a lot of people went looking for greener and less confusing pastures. The site split and subsequent roll out of new formatting did not go very smoothly and it was very poorly communicated which I'm sure pushed a lot of people away.  That results in fewer posts and less valuable content which then probably pushed another group of people away.

I've been a member of the site for as long as I can remember and I don't use the site nearly as much since the split and relaunch.  While the new site has more features and could possibly be cool there are a lot of things that make cruising the site a lot more annoying.  Personally I miss the list of newest posts and new threads.  That was an easy place to see what is new and what topics are being actively discussed.  Without that you have to go into each individual section to see if there is anything new beyond the one thread showing up to the right of the section name.  That's just too much hassle and such a waste of time.  The social media aspects that have been added just don't matter to me so they don't off set the other huge negatives.   

Another theory to the lower user totals could be that they have recalculated how they count users online at a given time.  Often times when a site lists the number of users online it will count all users that have been online in the past 60-90-120 minutes or whatever time period they set.  That sort of skews the results as you aren't getting an accurate picture of how many are actually online at that exact moment. What you are really seeing is how many people have been online over a set period of time.  If they adjusted that period of time to be shorter you'll obviously get a lower number of users.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

LOL....Negative nellies :D

Use the 'New Content' link to see the new content. It's at the top right of every page. I told you that once already nofishfisherman. I'm not sure why you didn't post that in your review ;)

Numbers of sessions and users are flat to slightly lower overall, after two major changes that was expected. New memberships are up over 307% and page views are up 257%.

Overall posts are up over 63%.

We are also starting to get a younger group and spread out more geographically. The mobile aspect is huge. I hope 'you find a way to enjoy the improved info and share some good quality posts yourself.

We are now in the initial growth phase. More good things are coming...if 'you like to create and join in the fun. :)

Edited by Rick

Sorry Rick, I don't recall you telling me anything about a New Content link. If I did I wouldn't have left it out of my review.  I just went back and looked through the list of my recent posts and don't see anything where I brought up the issue in a previous post. I do recall asking about it using the Contact Us feature a couple days ago but haven't seen a reply.  Believe it or not I don't have an ax to grind here.  Its just honest feedback from a long time member.  From what I've read from other users it doesn't sound like I'm alone in my line of thinking.

Edited by nofishfisherman

Sorry Rick, I don't recall you telling me anything about a New Content link. If I did I wouldn't have left it out of my review.  I just went back and looked through the list of my recent posts and don't see anything where I brought up the issue in a previous post. I do recall asking about it using the Contact Us feature a couple days ago but haven't seen a reply.  Believe it or not I don't have an ax to grind here.  Its just honest feedback from a long time member.  From what I've read from other users it doesn't sound like I'm alone in my line of thinking.

​I did reply to you. Might want to check your spam filters, and there is a featured announcement at the top of every page as a result of you and your question we replied to. As for the rest, unless you are experiencing a bug that we can fix, it is what it is. There is no going back.

Every time we made a change and I mean 'every time', there have been plenty of folks resistant to change as you are. For example, there are still plenty of facebook haters.

This board core is modular and there are plugins as well as applications we will be able to add to this forum to enhance your experience at HSO as time goes on.

So far the proof is in the pudding with the new users and growth in page views.

Time to get used to it if 'you want to have fun sharing here, at HSO.

I just looked at the email i have on file here and its a REALLY old email.  Assuming that's the email you used when replying I'm surprised you didn't get a bounce back since the email account has been defunct for 8-9 years.  I've now updated my account with a new email address.

​I did reply to you. Might want to check your spam filters, and there is a featured announcement at the top of every page as a result of you and your question we replied to. As for the rest, unless you are experiencing a bug that we can fix, it is what it is. There is no going back.

Every time we made a change and I mean 'every time', there have been plenty of folks resistant to change as you are. For example, there are still plenty of facebook haters.

This board core is modular and there are plugins as well as applications we will be able to add to this forum to enhance your experience at HSO as time goes on.

So far the proof is in the pudding with the new users and growth in page views.

Time to get used to it if 'you want to have fun sharing here, at HSO.

​proof????....seems dead. where are all these "new users"

​proof????....seems dead. where are all these "new users"

For starters, click the "New Content" link upper right :)

Then go to the Fishing MInnesota Forums and click the "New Content" link there as well.

I think everyone can make their own assessment.

If 'you find value here, you use the forums and share what you like in HSO or FM.

Edited by Rick