• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Venison Ribs?

So I've heard both 'yay' and 'nay' before regarding the topic- however- I want to reach out to the board here as everybody seems pretty knowledgable.

What are the thoughts or opinions (and perhaps, experience?) around utilizing venison ribs?

Very interested in trying to learn more about this, and prep myself for the coming fall.

Looking forward to hearing what those here have to say,

Thanks!

-Cobber

Horrible.. Tried it once and will never do it again.

All I had was that tallow film/flavor in my mouth for a very long time.

If I did it completely wrong, I guess thats my bad... But it was so bad I am not willing to do it again.

Plus + 1, there just is not enough meat also to deal with it! frown

Fwiw.a friend of mine used to make a venison rack of ribs that was out of this world good! Very labor intensive! I don't really remember all of It but i know he would scrape the tallow/fat every 15 minutes while roasting?said you needed this part otherwise they would taste horrible. .

A buddy of mine made some that he said were pretty good. First, they were pressure cooked (to render out tallow, etc.), and then treated more like a regular rib. While reported to be good, he also said they were way more work then they were worth.

I get the desire to utilize everything you can, and I think this practice should be followed by all to the extent possible, but sometimes it's better to think of those ribs as food for some other critter... Whether it's birds or 'yotes or bugs or bacteria, they'll get eaten eventually. wink