• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Amputation

Big Dave2

10 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Depends on what meaning you would assign if I said I "missed you".   I did notice your absence, for what that's worth. 

Thanks, that's more than I expected.:P

Well, I should find out more by the end of this week but things are looking good so far. The Dr. thinks now that the infection might not be in the bone after all which would be great news if it's true.

Sorry to hear about this. Been out of the loop so to speak for a while. If you want, PM me and fill me in on the reason for the amputation. I spent a lot of time with a relative who had a foot amputation but not sure if for a similar reason.  Do what they they tell you to do. 

On your business card you can put 'Busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest":grin:

25 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Sorry to hear about this. Been out of the loop so to speak for a while. If you want, PM me and fill me in on the reason for the amputation. I spent a lot of time with a relative who had a foot amputation but not sure if for a similar reason.  Do what they they tell you to do. 

I have no problem discussing it out in the open. I have diabetes and had it for many years before I discovered it. I've actually had a few other foot surgeries in the past 5 or 6 years and the entire right foot amputated last January. This latest infection isn't really anything too new but the timing wasn't very good.

6 minutes ago, Dotch said:

Sounds like good news Dave. How's your arm? Think the Twins could use you with all the guys on the DL. :D

The Twins certainly aren't doing well but I hope they never get THAT desperate!

8 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Was this a diabetic issue by chance?

Yep.

OK

Then I do have experience. My stepmother was diabetic and did a poor job of controlling it. Long story so I won't get into it but she developed sores on her foot which led to more problems and eventually she had to have the same procedure you had done to one of her feet. She fought hard to keep that foot and did extensive antibiotic regimens to try and stop the infections but eventually it had to go.

A few years later she started to get sores on her other foot but I suppose psychological reasons she didn't tell anyone and it went unnoticed until one day when her blood sugar got so out of whack that she passed out and ended up in the hospital where they discovered the sores. So, right away the DR's wanted to amputate because of the antibiotics she had been on already. She was adamant that they do as much with anti's as possible and so that was done but then tests showed the antibiotics had caused damage to her kidneys and at that point they scheduled the amputation of the second foot between the toes and heel area.At that point the DR's said her kidneys were not great and that future anti's were out of the question and that she needed to watch her diet very carefully so we ended up having her put in a home because we couldn't trust her at home by herself. Even if she did everything right they only gave her 5 years before the kidneys went. 

As it stood she did not follow the diet even in the home, and after about a year and a half she started to decline and her kidneys started to give out. They tried Dialysis but she was too weak at that point and wouldn't tolerate it and I think that was the first time it actually sunk in that this was all serious business but obviously it was too late and she died shortly after that.

All I can say is do everything you can do to control your diet, take as few antibiotics as possible, exercise more than you think you can, watch your weight and above all stay with the insulin regimen.