• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Amputation

Big Dave2

Anyone here ever deal with an amputation? I am home recovering from an amputation of the right foot I had performed on Tuesday. They did what is known as a Syme's amputation rather than the more popular below knee amputation. This way I got to keep the length of my leg with just the foot missing.

Hopping around with a walker really sucks so I'm hoping it won't take long for the stump to heal and I can start getting fitted for a prosthetic.

Anyone else here ever have a foot or leg amputated? Just wondering what to expect as far as timeline for being able to start doing fun things again? I read an encouraging story in a camping forum about a guy who claimed to be weekend camping in his motor home only a month after what he called a right leg amputation.

I'd love to be up and at em that soon, right now my immediate challenge is that my entire right leg is in a cast all the way up. That comes off in a little over a week.

Sorry to hear that, it must be challenging to say the least. One thing is for sure though its amazing how far prosthetics have come. Seeing what people are able to do now days after having various limbs removed has got to be somewhat encouraging. Good luck with everything hopefully you heal up fast!

Thanks upnorth. There's no doubt that things will never be exactly what they once were but I've seen enough of this to know that it shouldn't take too long to get me back to a place where I am doing the things I enjoy.

Ok, I guess I'll stop complaining about having my wisdom teeth taken out last week.

Hope the recovery goes well. I'm guessing you'll be up and enjoying life soon. Its pretty amazing what they can do with missing limbs these days. Given you were able to keep the knee I bet you won't be limited too much once the stump heals enough to allow a prosthetic of some sort.

Good luck with the recovery.

Do they custom make prosthetics for every individual or is it more of being fitted for various sizes that are already available?

How long will you have to wait for healing before you can start working with a prosthetic without unbearable pain?

Those are good questions that I don't have the answers to yet. I think the prosthetics are a custom fit sort of thing but I'm not sure yet. The dr. Told me I might be working with prosthetics in as soon as 1 month but I wouldn't be in my final prosthetic for about a year. It takes that long for the stump to get to a final size and be stable. Before that it fluctuates in size from day to day.

Got the stitches out this week and everything is healing nicely. I have an appointment with the prosthetics people next week but I still think I'm a little ways out from having a working prosthetic.

Biggest problem is all the fishing trips I'm missing. I already missed our Winnie trip and will miss what would have been my first ever LOW trip next week. I hope to be up and running by opener though!

I understand the missing out. I have had both feet surgically repaired where I was to be totally off my feet for 7 weeks each foot. And very limited activity for 3 or 4 weeks after that. At that point pain was the limiting factor. It sucks for sure but it does give you something to look forward to.

Do they custom make prosthetics for every individual or is it more of being fitted for various sizes that are already available?

How long will you have to wait for healing before you can start working with a prosthetic without unbearable pain?

Learned a lot about prosthetics today. My prosthesis will be custom fit to answer your first question. They are going to start the process next week by making a cast of my leg. When it is all said and done it looks like the timeline is about 6 weeks from now I should be walking on my final finished foot. I can't wait.

Could you maybe have them design a special foot built like an oversize duck foot. Then I'll bet you could swim like a Lab!

Had a bunch of big jobs done on the old body so I can sympathize. Just take your time and it will work out.

I had a neighbor who had about the same surgery. After he recovered you could not tell he had a foot removed. He continued to run his catering business and could still whip most of us on the golf course. I will keep you in my prayers for a quick recovery and a life with few limitations.

Well......I haven't posted here much in the last few months because I have been super busy. The prosthesis has been working like a charm and most people don't even know my foot is amputated even if I wear shorts and they see the prosthesis. My business is thriving so I quit my day job and work on our business full-time now as of a few weeks ago.  

All of the business came to a screeching halt this week because I ended up in the hospital with another infection in the stump of my amputated foot. Sucks being sidelined again and unable to bare weight on my right leg or even wear my prosthesis. I have a picc line and administer intravenous antibiotics myself once a day to try and get rid of the infection. If I am successful that will prevent a further  amputation, shortening my leg even more!

I'm just hoping I'm healed up in time for the annual spring fishing trip and we had a big Black Hills camping trip planned in June.

15 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Well......I haven't posted here much in the last few months because I have been super busy. The prosthesis has been working like a charm and most people don't even know my foot is amputated even if I wear shorts and they see the prosthesis. My business is thriving so I quit my day job and work on our business full-time now as of a few weeks ago.

All of the business came to a screeching halt this week because I ended up in the hospital with another infection in the stump of my amputated foot. Sucks being sidelined again and unable to bare weight on my right leg or even wear my prosthesis. I have a picc line and administer intravenous antibiotics myself once a day to try and get rid of the infection. If I am successful that will prevent a further  amputation, shortening my leg even more!

I'm just hoping I'm healed up in time for the annual spring fishing trip and we had a big Black Hills camping trip planned in June.

Is there anyone that can help with the bizz until your back up?

Saying a prayer for you Dave. Even though...... 

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Is there anyone that can help with the bizz until your back up?

I have 1 part-time employee that just went back to his regular job for the season and another part time employee who just started working for me a few days before I went in the hospital. Timing of this was not great to say the least but we'll figure it out somehow.

I'm wondering if I can run BBQ sauce or maybe some Grain Belt Light though this thing? :grin:

pic line.jpg

Dave, i read through all of the posts and really can only say that I hope all i working out.  I know being diabetic that my feet are a point that i worry about each day.  My father, also diabetic has had many surgeries on his feet and his brother had a similar surgery to yours, but was too hard headed to make that work.  I hope you feel better soon and are able to enjoy the outdoors soon.  Jeff