• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gopher Men's Hockey?

leechlake

I consider the Gophers hockey team to be our version of Duke in hoops or Alabama in football. Would their head coach still be the coach with the performance the team is showing and has in the past? I'm not even saying it's Lucia's fault my point is in other sports if the expectations of the community aren't met the coach is generally long gone. Is it Minnesota nice?

Major disappointment for sure this year. Wilcox is not the goaltender he gets the credit for. Clock is ticking they have to turn it around quick or they won't make the NCAA tourney. Big ten play will not help their pairwise so they need to win the conference pretty much.

Oh I don't know. I kind of enjoyed listening to the Mavericks beating up on the Gophers for a change. Honestly, in all the time I went to MSU, I don't think beat the Gophers 2 times. I'm still more a Gopher fan than a Mav, but it was a nice change of pace for me!

I'd just like to thank the Beavers for helping UND re-secure first place.

As for the Gophers and the entire little six conference, what the heck is going on? Gophers are the top ranked team last week at 17 penn state next at 22? That's ridiculous. It's so awful I feel bad even making fun of the chokers. Without a big run the only team from the big 10 in the tournament will be the team that wins the conference tourney for the auto bid. And, this is why I have always disliked the auto bid format. It places undeserving teams into the bracket.

I still hate that whole thing. Best hockey tourney in the country. Now there's three tourneys and combined they don't draw like the wcha final five did. Major BOO!

I could not agree more. One of the worst things is that the TV broadcasts for all of the leagues have become terribly unpredictable. I can rarely find the gophers at the same time and channel, and this past weekend UND was on CBSSN Friday then FCS Saturday night.

It's just stupid.

The sad state of Gopher hockey. I will use myself and my family as an example. We were die hard other fans. As young kids we lived for Friday and Saturday nights. Gopher hockey used to be a weekly event in our lives. We attended as many as we watched on TV. We watched every game we could when we were not on the ice ourselves.

Gopher Hockey was OUR game, OUR team. From the broadcast crew to the players to the coaches. Everything was Minnesotan.

In an effort to grow college hockey nationally we have been robbed of our teams identity and standing within the community. What was OURS is no longer, Gopher Hockey has become the possession of the Big 10 Network to do with it as they see fit.

The big 10 partnership that was thought to be a benefit has severely damaged the Gopher product. The lack of consistent high level, high intensity competition has been replaced with middle of the road games played at all times of the day or week.

I am certain the players have been impacted by the big 10 as well. The travel schedules are more taxing. sometimes they are gone fr 3-4 days instead of just 2.

We have given up so many rivalry games i am sure it is hard to "Get up" for games.

I never thought I would see Gopher hockey in the current state.

I am not a coach hunter but something has to be done. tDon was a proponent of the Big 10, I think he thought it would positively impact his recruiting. But let me ask you this, if you are a high end Minnesota recruit would you rathe play at a school where a majority of your games are in the 4 state area so family and friends can travel more easily OR the Gophers for the bigger stage......I know the easy answer is the Gophers but I also believe there are some that will consider they alternatives.

I am not a coach hunter but something has to be done. tDon was a proponent of the Big 10, I think he thought it would positively impact his recruiting. But let me ask you this, if you are a high end Minnesota recruit would you rathe play at a school where a majority of your games are in the 4 state area so family and friends can travel more easily OR the Gophers for the bigger stage......I know the easy answer is the Gophers but I also believe there are some that will consider they alternatives.

I remember the quotes as well, but do you think it was possibly the "toeing the company line" bit though? I do, there isn't much he could do. It was inevitable.

If tDon is axed/retired, I sure hope its not Guentzel. There is a reason he has made his life as a career backup. I would love to see someone like Gwoz come back to college hockey or I wonder if Hastings could be plucked from MSU??? There are probably a few others out there, but those two bubble up to the top of the list for me anyway.

I watch the Gophers quite a bit, but have a hard time admitting I'm a fan. If I were though, I would be hard pressed to fault either tDon or Guentzel. Have you completely forgotten the Gophers performance when Guentzel left and Hill was the #1 assistant? They were complete hogwash for years and everyone was calling for Lucia's head. Then Guentzel came back and the team returned to NCAA success (two Frozen fours).

Although I can't explain how a team that rocks solid blue chip players across 3 lines struggles to score, I do believe they will right the ship in time. Winning the B10 tourney will become Mission #1 (and only 5 mediocre/poor teams to beat).

As to the TV coverage, I will admit it is much less consistent than it used to be. For the Gophers its tougher to find the channel and sometimes they are not on TV. For much of the rest of college hockey, I believe we have better coverage. B10, CBSSN, FSN (covers some WCHA and NCHC now), NBCSN, ESPNU. I can now watch 6-8 Bulldog games a year on satellite TV, whereas before I'd be lucky to see 3 or 4.

The new rivalries, that is a different story. Not sure they will ever get back to where they were.

I've been watching Gopher hockey since Herbie was coach. Remember sitting on the couch as a student having a beer watching the USA beat the Ruskies with a team made up of a core of Gopher standouts. We are fans and so is our border collie Ruby. Watching Friday night games on FSN became a staple at the ranch for years. When we tell Ruby let's get chores done early so we can watch the Gophers she goes nuts. Now all we have to do is say "Gophers?" and she runs to the door. I need to video that someday. smile

I too miss the WCHA and the FSN broadcasts. The B1G broadcasts typically pale in comparison. This has been a frustrating season to watch as their play has disintegrated. Hope you're right Solbes that they take the B1G tournament and can move on from there. Somehow these guys are not getting the job done and that responsibility ultimately lands on Lucia's shoulders. Given Norwood Teague's record thus far (Tubby and Pam Borton) would not be at all surprised if something happens to force a change. Like him or not, he does not impress me as a patient man. Not saying Lucia will get fired but he might.

for years I've watched the Gopher teams look for pretty plays to score goals. I've seen it again this year, shoot the puck and crash the net. The Riley boys don't mind pulling the trigger. I'm making it too simplistic but hopefully you get my drift.

No I agree and have seen the same thing along with what appear to be defensive lapses. Do enjoy the Riley boys. Can't score if you don't shoot. They let 'er rip! This team frequently looks like it's doggin' it though overall and don't play with the intensity they did last year or earlier in the season. I've gotten to the point where if I have to choose between watching the Gopher women or the men, at this point I'll live stream the women. Less frustrating and the women play their hearts out. Not only that, they usually win! grin

No I agree and have seen the same thing along with what appear to be defensive lapses.
There was a play by Boyd two weekends ago where I just about jumped through the TV I was so irate.

The Gophers were on the kill and were able to get the puck out of the zone but only to the blue line where two defenders were setup and already turning back up ice. Boyd skates to the bench and while he was at about center ice he waves his replacement onto the ice when he could have turned and defended the play. This resulted in basically a 4 on 2 and an EASY goal.

I was beside myself. This type of thing happens far too often on a team that has top tier talent.

The one thing I will say is that some people say "that's what you expect when the whole team is so highly skilled and leaves after 2 years and don't have any role players". Honestly take a hard look at this team. Its FULL of role players. Cammarata, Kloos, Connor Riley, Rau, Ambroz, Marshall, .... are ALL role players. There are few guys on this team that will leave early IMO. Wilcox, Fasching, M Reily and Skjei are about it.

People chastise Lucia for recruiting the flight risks, I think he has been a better job of getting the role players. They are just not playing well and the effort isn't there.

Bristedt is starting to impress me. I pointed him out earlier in the year as potentially being the most skilled forward on our team after seeing him play 2 games. He definitely has some game, but growth is needed for sure.

The women's game is fun, it is different but should not be compared to the mens game in any way really. The skill is so high on the Gopher W team unfortunately it is rare they have quality competition. Thus sometimes the games can be so lopsided it is hard to watch. I know this very well as I have a family member on the team, it has been a great ride watching her win championships and set records. Strange feeling watching a team dominate opponents while thinking....this is kind of boring.

Women's Final 4 tickets are in the mail, the Gophers are hosting it this year for another chance to win the Big one in front of the home crowd and close out some amazing careers fro the seniors. Final 4 is already sold out. Should be fun.

Oh and By the way I will take the play by play guy the Women have for the Mens game any day of the week, he does a nice job.

So yes I am with you, I have chosen the women games over the men's as of late.

Get out to a game it is the greatest value going. kids are basically free. In Game experience quality is high.

Couldn't live stream the women this weekend so had to settle for the men's game. The women lost one so it kept me from throwing things at the TV, hence saving on my rotator cuff grin Still, I gotta appreciate the women's games and team for what they are. They get shut out Friday night on the road in ND, dust themselves off, and come back to win on Saturday after being down a quick goal right out of the chute. Impressive. You should be very proud wormdunker. smile

Men's team is playing better. Power play was red hot and they wasted no time on several of those goals over the weekend. If you went to the kitchen for another beverage or quick snack, you missed them. A badly needed sweep over Ohio State, first one since November against Notre Dame. More like it. cool

For sure. Shows where hockey rates in their eyes. If it isn't an Ohio St. or Michigan game of any kind it really doesn't matter. They have all those alternate channels but choose not to use them. Couldn't get the game here in flyover land where they must assume we don't count! crazy