• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I just dont get it

blue_healer_guy

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man oh man are you guys ever at each other's throats.

I'm not as old as a lot of you, but the ice fishing mentality hasn't changed in the couple decades I've been doing it.

Inexperienced people think that a group of shacks must mean the fish are biting. They also believe a single shack on it's own means the fish are biting. Not much you can do until they figure it out and venture on their own.

I detest fishing in a shanty town, but was once just as guilty as others for joining the crowd, or contributing to the start of one.

Now, I would much rather head off on my own, even well knowing others may follow. I used to get mad about it, but now I accept and sometimes even embrace it.

It is what it is, and hopefully any new neighbors will give a little room.

Most do, but some don't.

One thing I get a giggle out of is just what the OP mentioned. Myself and two buddies will pull up to X lake with three trucks and three wheelhouses to spend the night, having the intent to catch a couple fish and drink a few beers away from the crowd. But it sure makes it look like the fish are biting there!!! LOL

More often than not the portables or other wheelhouses "horn in", but after a half hour of kids running shack to shack (ours), they usually get the idea and eventually leave smile

If they don't, oh well.

And if you ever pull up to a shack on or near "your spot", ask them if they would be okay if you fished there too. This will teach them to do the same next time they fish close to somebody else.

Until we all own private lakes, learn to accept what comes along with ice fishing.... wink

Plowing "around" someone... no problem,,, plowing them in so badly it "will take 6 months to dig out" is another story..... why don't you call both the local game warden, and the sheriff's office and speak with a deputy, tell them exactly what you would do, and ask if they are ok with it, or if perhaps you would receive a citation for disorderly conduct at a minimum. Like I said, bottom line is none of us own the ice, whether you plow it or not. Good for you for plowing, but don't think someone doesn't have a right to fish where they want. I wouldn't drill on a road, but that doesn't mean it's illegal or wrong

I'm not usually engaged in this kind of string, but I have a strong opinion on this. Let me first state that I own lakeshore property adjacent to a public access. I plow and maintain a lake road from that public access (I could easily plow to my property only). My opinion on this whole argument is that it is a public lake, not mine. Anyone wants to drill a hole, or park a permie on the road I plow, go for it, have fun! The lake is not mine. If I need to re-route the road, thats on me. Its not my lake. And its not your lake either. If someone can only find fish by following others, good for them, have fun! I bet most of the gripers here dont do anything to help others out.
+1

Read the post again, I don't plow MY ROADS, I plow them FOR OTHERS to use so they spread out.

Not looking for an atta boy from you or anyone else.

Just because you don't appreciate a plowed road doesn't mean others have the same attitude.

hopefully they remember you at Christmas.

I stand by what I said about the roads. You plow them that's on you. Not anyone else. Don't like people getting close or whatever simple don't plow a road and you won't have visitors.

My dad used to plow the lake near his house so he had a place to ride his atv and then guys did exactly what you are pi$$ed about so he quit plowing. Now his blood pressure dropped and he doesn't get angry about all the knuckleheads out there.

My young fishing partner always asks..... why can't we go over there and fish with all the people. I always say .....because there are more fish here. Sometimes its true, sometimes not, regardless, am darn near anti social and hate fishing in crowds....but I can't tell him that. To make a long story less long, we ended up fishing a shanty town a week ago, namely, because he overheard a conversation that a neighbor was going to be fishing a lake across the street from where we were fishing that day. I promised him we would meet up with "Dave". We had very little success trout fishing that day, it was time to go meet Dave, and I was dreading the "drive of shame" into the shanty town. Finally found Dave, and within an hour of setting up: Jr. had already befriended a nearby dog, soon after started playing with other kids, someone shared with him their hot grilled food, he shared his treats with others, he told plenty of fish stories with complete strangers, and had perhaps the best ice fishing trip of his life....without even wetting a line.....not to mention I caught the biggest crappie I had caught in years. While I am not going to make this a habit, it was nice to see everyone out there enjoying themselves.....especially the families. This is Minnesota, this is what we do.

As far as a guy drilling on a road and gets plowed in....think of it as tough love....he will learn ya just don't do that winksmile

If i see people crowding me I turn on the Katy Perry and Justin Bieber. Crappies don't care. Guys do. its like bug spray for humans. .

Now thats funny! When we much younger and didn't have the likes of Bieber repellent, but a friend of mine had an old bag pipe that he would bring with, now he couldn't play it well, but he could play it loud. After we got older and tired of arguing with strangers we found that it is just much easier on the nerves just to quietly move on to the next spot ourselves.

I do not have a permanent fish house so the point is not someone getting close to me, Captain Musky.

I have an Aluma Lite skid house and go where no one else is fishing.

The only axe I have to grind is with those that feel they have the right to drill a hole in the middle of a plowed road and mess it up for those that use it for it's intended purpose.

I plow for others at my expense, don't care about an atta boy, or being remembered at Christmas.

In regards to another post about breaking a law by blocking someone in by plowing a road around them if they drilled a hole in the middle of an existing road, I don't worry about it. You drilled the hole, ruined the road, now shovel your way out.

You don't care about others, why should anyone care about you?

I agree with not drilling a hole right in the middle of a plowed road its just command sense then they put up tip ups and get [PoorWordUsage] cause you drive down your plow road

I know we don't not own the lake but what do they expect when they do that

Near the end of a very heavy snow year on the big part of North Long near Brainerd I saw a guy pull his house over to a road that a friend plowed for our group of us to get our houses off. He just put it on the road in everyone's way and we were getting stuck trying to get around him. After three days of it still being there somebody, I swear it wasn't us, plowed him in big time when they did a new road around him so they could get off. I think he was the last person off that year. That is a dirty trick, but it does bring a little smile to your face.

I do not have a permanent fish house so the point is not someone getting close to me, Captain Musky.

I have an Aluma Lite skid house and go where no one else is fishing.

If you plow a road, you can expect visitors, simple as that.

I agree with you on the drilling in the road, some people are just plain dumb, but it goes with the territory.

Seems like we could use a training course for fishing, similar to firearms safety classes for hunting.

Rule 1) Don't fish too close to someone else on the ice or open water.

Rule 2) If someone fishes too close to your liking on the ice or open water, take a deep breath and relax.

If we all live and abide by these words, we would all fish in peace. "Common Courtesy and Common Sense."

We all know no one owns the ice or the plowed roads. Is it illegal to drill on plowed roads? No, but its common sense not to drill. The law states to be 10' apart from another angler but its common courtesy to keep your distance.

If we all live and abide by these words, we would all fish in peace. "Common Courtesy and Common Sense."

We all know no one owns the ice or the plowed roads. Is it illegal to drill on plowed roads? No, but its common sense not to drill. The law states to be 10' apart from another angler but its common courtesy to keep your distance.

an older and wiser friend of mine taught me the phrase "common courtesy" years ago and it happened to be when we were on a lake. It's an easy way to explain something, as we see here, many make way too complicated. Too many people turn the Golden Rule into "do unto others as they've done to me." Sometimes we all need to pull our big boy pants on.

I also was going to keep from posting anything to promote fist to cuffs on this thread but I'm throwing the talk flag to what most are saying...

I've fished on all lakes, big, small, in the metro and in the great north...most EVERY lake I've fished, hard or soft, has people fishing on top of each other. 50-100 yards away???? LOL Get real guys. You've all fished in shanty town, you've went to where you saw others catching fish, you've all swarmed to the masses...just have I had. Do I get withing 20 feet? No, but definetly within 20 yards. Especially on some hot bites or structure. God, I've been on Mille Lacs on a flat that you had to weave around anchor lines and could spit on peoples boat. EVERYONE there could have done the same...including charter boats. The fishing was phenom!

It would be really cool and kudos to your business if you popped out a few short spurs off the main road. Especially on structure.

This could be construed as angler harassment, not good for business.

Putting a few spurs off the main road would not be a problem, but what would prevent someone without any common sense from drilling holes in them?? confused

Plowing a road around someone that drilled in the middle of an existing road, then blocking off the old road would not be angler harassment.

I would never confront them, plow next to them, prevent them from fishing, or touch any of their equipment. They would just need a shovel to get back to the old road. wink

Not much didnt know yu were ver here in shanty town grin must be cabin fever here, people need to go outside chop wood or something. 8 pages of this, ive hit the lake every weekend for the last 6 weekends and im subjected to the soap opera. Ready for our rematch?