• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I just dont get it

blue_healer_guy

It happens year after year. Not every permanent house is catching fish or on a hot spot. Some of us who have permanents go to the house to relax, play cards, watch tv, talk with buddys and are far off proven hot spots to get away from PEOPLE! Catching fish is sometimes secondary! So here comes the novice angler who thinks that guy MUST be catching fish, hes all by himself. So one portable 20 ft away becomes 2,3,4,5. Get the picture. So sick and tired of it.... A guy had the balls to ask me last week why I was moving my house, assuming I was catching fish. I told him becuz of you. 10 minutes later he packed up and left. A buddy walked to his house last week, and this is no shet, no truck, no evidence he was in his house. A guy stopped to fish and actually sat on his wheel of his house while he fished. It didnt end well. Whats my point? Find your own dang spot!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your frustration as well as your point, sitting on the wheel of someones house is distastefull. Unfortunately public waters are public waters and their is not a whole lot a person can do. I have been in your shoes, spent countless hours finding fish in the middle of nowhere on a lake only to have been watched catching fish by others with binoculars then in short order I have people standing on top of me. Not a whole lot a person can do on public waters. Key is being polite and talking to people OFTEN goes a long ways and yes there are exceptions to this rule.

Happy fishing

Kettle

It happens year after year. Not every permanent house is catching fish or on a hot spot. Some of us who have permanents go to the house to relax, play cards, watch tv, talk with buddys and are far off proven hot spots to get away from PEOPLE! Catching fish is sometimes secondary! So here comes the novice angler who thinks that guy MUST be catching fish, hes all by himself. So one portable 20 ft away becomes 2,3,4,5. Get the picture. So sick and tired of it.... A guy had the balls to ask me last week why I was moving my house, assuming I was catching fish. I told him becuz of you. 10 minutes later he packed up and left. A buddy walked to his house last week, and this is no shet, no truck, no evidence he was in his house. A guy stopped to fish and actually sat on his wheel of his house while he fished. It didnt end well. Whats my point? Find your own dang spot!

So you want an exclusive zone around your house, even when you aren't there? How big would this zone be? 20 feet not enough? What do you want? 50 feet, 100 meters? Maybe ice fishing isn't the sport for you. Don't want anyone to fish by you while you are drinking and playing cards? Park the house in a field.

I can understand the frustration of being surrounded by others especially when you are trying to avoid the crowds. Thats one of the reasons why I have been mostly using my portable the last few years. Honestly I wouldn't mind if they treat fish houses on lakes the same way they treat deer stands in WMA. If you are leaving the lake, take your house with you. I am sure lots of people wouldn't agree with me but it would be a win-win situation. You no longer would need a fish house license and you wouldn't have to worry about some thief breaking into your house while it is on the lake.

Don't let it get you down. If you pick out of the way places and fishing is a little off par with expectations compared to other more productive traditional spots on your body of water, they might move on. Although when the army of portables gets rolling, there are still a few stragglers left that tend to decoy in the flock. The ice fishing revolution that has equipped anglers with more portable gear has really changed things on the ice over the last 20 years.

I just try and go with it, help out when I can, and accept this particular cost of being in the brotherhood of much more mobile ice fisherman.

I'm actually the opposite. I avoid the crowds. I know that often times the reason certain areas are popular is because historically that is where the fish are found. I prefer to move to less popular places.

Let me guess blue heeler guy. You also bought hunting land adjacent to public hunting land, and you are [PoorWordUsage] OFF that the public land hunters are hunting near your private property??? If fishing is secondary and you just want to play cards, why the hell do you care if there are portables near you? You sound like a little baby. And I'm just going to guess, your house is probably worth over $20k? Cause the only people that whine and complain like you are the ones that have it all... But want more. Its not YOUR LAKE!

I dont get it, you are there to play cards and watch tv, not a "hot spot" area, sorry i'd b laughing my a$$ off at all the followers, id b constantly yelling " that one is huge" or new personal best" or whatever to make em think u r fishing and catching, releasing, whatever while no one else can find a bite. Idove to play mind games with that crowd

I think the law says they can be as close as 10 feet, still thats too close

What, for making a spot PRIVATE on PUBLIC waters, when people are not there.. Jeeesh, What a bunch of spoiled babies.

Sound like the guy I told to take a hike. I drilled on the plowed road to his shack. It was on structure.

WAS that 20'x 150' his PRIVATE part of the lake too?

well,well,well. I think you guys are missing the pt. Its not about the "spot" on the lake, nor about boozing it up, nor about its my lake. Its more about enjoying the outdoors, the sound of cracking ice, the sound of nothing, the sound of maybe a click on the rattle reel etc. People are just really lazy to find there own fish, see a house they must be catching fish mentality. Its actually kinda funny in a way, watching people pace because they are not catching fish and I think they think its my fault for putting my house where I want it. ONCE AGAIN, I JUST DONT GET IT.

Theres been so many times iv been WALKING out with my portable to avoid the crowds. If you leave your truck at the parking lot and walk nobody takes you seriously. If i see people crowding me I turn on the Katy Perry and Justin Bieber. Crappies don't care. Guys do. its like bug spray for humans. trust me. anyways you know its the permanent house causing the attention so maybe try something else for the few days you want to sit in peace or just move it each day to a quiet area.

well,well,well. I think you guys are missing the pt. Its not about the "spot" on the lake, nor about boozing it up, nor about its my lake. Its more about enjoying the outdoors, the sound of cracking ice, the sound of nothing, the sound of maybe a click on the rattle reel etc. People are just really lazy to find there own fish, see a house they must be catching fish mentality. Its actually kinda funny in a way, watching people pace because they are not catching fish and I think they think its my fault for putting my house where I want it. ONCE AGAIN, I JUST DONT GET IT.

I like this

What, for making a spot PRIVATE on PUBLIC waters, when people are not there.. Jeeesh, What a bunch of spoiled babies.

Sound like the guy I told to take a hike. I drilled on the plowed road to his shack. It was on structure.

WAS that 20'x 150' his PRIVATE part of the lake too?

Lucky he was a nice guy. If anyone drilled a fishing hole on any road I plowed, it'd be July before he cleared out all the snow that I plowed around him! smile

I definitely share your pain. If at all possible I try to be at least 100 to 150 yards away from my nearest neighbor on the ice, but within a week or two like you said you will be crowded in. I just move on to the next spot...I actually take it as an honor that people think enough of my scouting that that they want to fish close to me. At the end of the day the groups moving in usually don't do nearly as well. Fish feel the pressure of a bunch of crowded fish houses and move on as well. I just find a new spot. I do try to help others whenever I can to understand that you are better off not being right on the nicest inside bend or transition that you could find on your GPS if it means that you are not in the middle of a big group of houses.