• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aluminum fish house shell

rwk

I recently looked at the firebrand ice house and they look very nice. If I was to purchase one I'm thinking of just purchasing a shell the layouts were nice but not to interested in their wood work

Who has done this and is it worth it?

You experience can be with any of the aluminum ice house

Is spray foam worth the expense

I'm looking for FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE! No I heard this or have not worked on one but have an opinion. Trying to eliminate all the internet gossip junk

Firebrand has absolutely the worst customer service I have ever been around. No communication skills what so ever. Owner is dying from cancer from what I hear and the way things are being run they will not last long in my opinion. To bad I thought it was a good looking product.

Follow up to previous quote: I just got of the phone with one of firebrand reps and he had a dozen excuses on why everything on a new house was screwed up. At least they called back. Needless to say I did not buy the house. Yetti dealership by default received my business this morning. Any one have a 8x16 extreme yetti. Didn't do as much research on it as I normally do.

I recently looked at the firebrand ice house and they look very nice. If I was to purchase one I'm thinking of just purchasing a shell the layouts were nice but not to interested in their wood work

Who has done this and is it worth it?

You experience can be with any of the aluminum ice house

Is spray foam worth the expense

I have a 2012 Yetti and purchased it finished………….no complaints.

Who has done this and is it worth it?...... Not to me, but I don’t have the patients and don’t like mistakes that you may have. Especially if you have never done it before.

Is spray foam worth the expense…….Depends? How tight do you want it? Are you going have/keep it for the long haul? Spray foam is probably the best means of insulating.

It is too bad that the guy that started Firebrand has cancer. He worked for Yetti and moved on to start his own business. Hope things work out.

Sorry for not having a do it yourself opinion, but we all still have one.

I'm looking for FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE! No I heard this or have not worked on one but have an opinion. Trying to eliminate all the internet gossip junk

I did a few yettis with extruded foam between the aluminum studs. Wood furring strips were attached to the studs and we added 3/4 extruded between those. The roof was the same. Floor spray foamed. I'd do it the same if I had the choice. 8 x 16 houses with empire direct vent heaters. Before the heaters were installed I could hold 70 degrees with a buddy heater no problem.

I have a Yetti that I finished myself. Would do the same thing if I was buying again but go bigger of course. smile

No problems with the aluminum frame it still looks great! Trivial little things that I have fixed with the crank assembly (new cables/pulleys/etc)

I spray foamed the floor, worth it. I just used the foam board that it comes with plus 3/4" of regular styrofoam between the fur strips to support the tongue and groove a little.

I purchased a Firebrand Osakis this winter. So far I've spent a couple hundred hours in it and I love it. Pulls down the road great. As far as fit and finish it is done very well in my opinion. There have been a few small issues, like storage doors not closing perfect. Little pressure up on the hinge and fixed. House has pink sheet foam in the walls, stays very warm. As to Firebrands CS, I contacted them earlier this week on a question I had. Was very impressed with their CS some of the best I have dealt with. Granted I do own their product and not just calling to complain about something I don't even own.

Brian

I bought a Custom Cottage aluminum shell and finished the inside myself. I did have them spray foam the roof, walls, and floor and it was one of the best decisions I made. No drafts, the heater isn't kicking on every couple minutes, it warms up faster, and takes less propane and battery power to run the heater. There are so many reasons to go this route.

I purchased a 8X16 yetti shell this last march. I finished the interior myself. As others had mentioned, I too used the extra ridgid foam in the walls and ceiling before the T&G. The floor was spray foamed. I enjoy making cabinets and counter tops so doing the work myself was fun. I like the idea of knowing where and how it was all put together. My plan was to put everthing I knew I wanted in this house and then fish in it a season. I can now adjust a few things and complete the interior this summer. I installed two heaters in this house. A 18,000 BTU forced air and a 10,000 BTU ventless. I use both to bring the house to temp and adjust thermostat to kick on and off as needed. I love having this option and don't worry about having to cut my trips short because of a furnace problem. It is very easy on propane and wonderful to fish in. Good luck.

I don't know your specific situation, or what you are looking to get out of hammering on the company but I read this post a while ago and finally got around to replying to it.

First off, let it be known that "The owner" and his current health situation has absolutely NO bearing on what is going on around either of his businesses. I think it is a pretty low move to even drag that out to air your frustrations. Have a little compassion for him, and his family. I have said my peace on that and will let it go.

Secondly, I manage the finishing shop and have not talked to you to my recollection which may be our first problem. I would love to hear from you to get some information, and possibly enlighten you on what may have happened in this case. I can assure you that the customer service at this shop is and will continue to be top notch so I take it a hair personally. I am sorry to see that you ended up buying a Yetti without giving me a chance to work through your issues.

Lastly, I can't change or correct what has gone on in the past with your situation, but if you are willing to contact me please let me know so that I can correct the problem so that nobody else needs to go through this in the future. As with any new business we need to learn from our mistakes. If it was a dealer issue I will need to visit with them, if it was one of our staff I can assure you that will be handled accordingly. And please accept my apologies - for what it is worth at this point.

I would have private messaged you, but I am new to this site and unsure how to do so.

nice reply Eric, I have met you and the owner and I nothing good to say about you and the fish houses.

Mike - Either the above post was sarcasm, or you missed a word in there. Can you elaborate on what you meant as I might need to address a negative issue with you as well... Thanks, Eric

Eric I'm truly sorry for the way it came out, I did not re-read my post and I'm good at that it seems. What I was trying to say;

you folks are doing a great job and I have nothing but good to say about you and your products.

I'm sorry for my mistake and then not catching to boot!

Mike

I finished an 8x16 Firebrand this winter, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I probably will, actually, once things settle down and I get around to selling this one. I plan on doing a full writeup when I have time. I wouldn't worry about spray foaming the frame, you can get an air tight R11 with rigid foam and it takes very little propane to heat. R11 is almost the same as a traditional 2x4 wall, so I assure you you won't be losing much heat out of the walls. I can easily go an entire long weekend without going through one of my tanks. There was no way I could justify the cost with spray foam, but I also do like to do things myself. Make sure you get the good foam, not the white stuff (only because that will absorb water).

I had good experience with my Firebrand dealer out of Savage. The furnace I bought with it initially wouldn't worked, they replaced it and the new one works fine.

The electric jacks work really well, but they are a little slow. It took me a little figuring out how to really make the hitch/ball system work smoothly, but now that I have it figured out it is a breeze.

I furred it out just like everyone else on here, it wasn't that bad at all! It was fun laying it out. I was able to get a complete AC and DC electrical system in the house, with lights and outlets everywhere!

I went with two 6V golf cart batteries and everything in the house is designed to work with just 12V power (including TV/DVD player, radio, lights, etc). I can go 3 days before I even have to consider turning on a generator, even when it is super cold out. This is nice, because I don't own a generator smile

I will try to get a full write up in the next couple weeks on my build, not sure which site it will be on but I am sure if you do your research you can find it.

No problem. Thanks for the feedback! We are not perfect, and don't claim to be. Every new business goes through periods of trial & error (Aka growing pains.) Sadly, social media can be your best or worst asset if concerns are not addressed and that is what I am trying to accomplish!

Happy Fishing!

Eric

I bought a Yetti in 2011 and finished it myself, I also doubled up my insulation and the firring for stability for my tongue and groove. I learned a lot and would do it again if I wasn't so old and crochety. If you would like to see some of the things I did here is a blog I did about it. This year I ripped out my carpet and put the g-floor in mine, I am much happier now. I hated the carpet, another thing I did was order led bulbs for my ceiling light. Super awesome, 4 led's give me as much light as 6 of the regular bulbs. I would love to have the 6x16, but it is not in the budget.

Yetti Build

I had an issue with my first house I bought (it was used when I bought it). After trying to fix it without resolve they built me a brand new house and spray foamed it for no extra cost. Randy and Eric bent over backwards for me. I would not hesitate to buy one again. 

Here is my new house. It's the black one in the back ground. My buddies dad also bought one.

image.jpeg

If your inclined enough to do so, we built our frame completely from scratch.  Just recently got it sheeted.  If you want a fresh before and after opinion on the spray foam feel free to give me a pm next week, due to advise from some nice builds on this forum we're getting ours spray foamed for the stability end air tight insulation.  We're finding quotes at right around 1k for floor ceiling and walls on a 8x16 with a 4 foot v.