• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recommendations for bagged soups.

Recently I've purchased some of those bagged soups sold in grocery stores and the big box membership stores of Sams and Costco. I think these are a good idea for lunch when ice fishing and when traveling because I get sick and tired of restaurant food.

Thus far I've tried a couple chilies that ware way to beany for me; clam chowder which was pasty tasting and way too thick; and, a couple different chicken noodle soups which were over salted and the noodles were mush. Does anyone have some recommendations for makers of bagged soups that are readily available and taste great?

I agree. You can't beat homemade beef stew. Brown the stew meat along with some coarsely chopped onions. Add beef stock and couple of cups of red wine to cover. Add a couple of bay leaves, some smashed allspice, salt and pepper to taste, minced garlic, and then simmer. Add chopped carrots, potatoes and at the very end some thickly sliced Portobello mushrooms. Then some homemade bread. You can bag the soup in gallon ziplocks once cooled and boil those. Good luck.

I'll second the Shore Lunch. Been using them for years. I add chunks of Polish or Kielbasa and chives to the 'tato soup, and use a cup of milk at the end of cooking to make it creamy, in all of them. Wild rice is good with added dried onion bits and chopped parsley.