• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Raised garden

bobberineyes

I was thinking of putting up a trellis for my Mn Midget cantaloupe plants. I have 2 rows with 5 mounds per row. I was wondering if I built a simple single trellis in a tee pee shape over both the rows with some wood strips and twine, would it be enough to support them or would I want one for each row? I realize that I will have to tie up or cradle the mellons when that time comes. I had to plant them closer together so I thought it would help with space. My buckets are looking good so far! I noticed that the 2 pepper plants in the other containers aren't doing nearly as good as the one in the buckets. This is because I didnt replace the older dirt in them, just added a little new. May have to repot them in better soil.

001.JPG

Edited by Rip_Some_Lip

You should be OK with one.  An old fashioned heirloomin  tomato plant is going to pull more weight than a mound of midgets. Have noticed though that it is tough to train them. Their tendrils don't curl as aggressive as cucs or beans and break off easily if you try to "help" them along. Too late now but have had better success planting singles in a row instead of mounds. Make sure you keep the vines spread out in the beginning and you should be good. Suppose you could find out where bobberineyes gets those fancy trellises and get it already premade. Tipi-ing each mound like some pole bean set up might also work. In years past did that growing them in big 15 gallon nursery pots.....

Those beds on legs... What is the bottom made out of?

It's pretty much all 1×cedar except across  the bottom  on top of the 1×s is some 2×4s. The only  setback that I ran into was I didn't  take into  consideration was how soft cedar is. Got her half full of dirt and the screws started pulling  out so had to ad 3 legs underneath. I do like how everything is waist high though. This is my first  year of doing any kind of gardening, after seeing  some posts on pails  being used I planted 13 pails  and pots and to boot. My wife says I have a problem. Lol