• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Raised garden

bobberineyes

I have raised tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets using the "lasagna" method. Punch some holes in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket for drainage, add a layer of coarse gravel or rock in the bottom, cover that with a layer of newspaper, add a layer of leaves, grass clippings, or compost, and cover that with a layer of newspaper. The top few inches is potting soil, and you plant the tomatoes in that.

The advantage is you can start the plants early, and bring them indoors if necessary.

Swamptiger and RebelSS, I am thinking of doing this with tomato's and peppers this year. I would think it would take a lot of potting soil in each bucket and it would get spendy doing 10 buckets. How much soil would you think it would need in each pail to get enough nutrients and root growth? How deep do the roots go and can I get buy putting packing peanuts or something in the bottom 1/3 to keep weight and costs down?

Basic topsoil is only a buck or so a bag at wally or fleety. I would be tempted to put that on the bottom and then some potting soil mix on top of that. How long will they have to go between watering is also something to think about.

Six or eight inches of potting soil would be enough. Packing peanuts would probably work at the bottom - just add a couple of thicknesses of newspaper so the bucket doesn't drain too fast. My preference is leaves or leaf compost, mostly because I have a surplus of leaves all around my place..

Rip: Not sure how much soil for the buckets, but I think I used 2 big bags of good Vegetable Potting soil. Works a lot better than the topsoil or plain potting soil, is a bit heavier, and is made for vegetables, also does not compact down as much. Also, my plants got awful tall and leafy, and the weight of the soil kept them from tipping over. With the bit of sand and screen in the bottom, along woth the drain gholes, I'd water thoroughly at least once a day. It depends on how how it is, and how much sun they get, but on my deck it gets hot in the sun for about 8 hours. Really makes the peppers grow, though. Always did far better than the ones I planted in the ground.

dggubk.jpg

23wjlmx.jpg

The deck containers we use here to grow in are filled with our own home made mix, a lot cheaper then buying pre mixed. Potting mix is preferred over potting soil in containers. Our home mix is about 60% peat moss with manure/compost making up another 35% and the last 5% is perlite with pine bark on top to aid in water retention. This mix can be used over and over again as you can freshen the mix up each spring. Plants grown in containers tend to dry out quicker in hot weather making water retention a big deal. Soil does not have then ability to store water like peat moss can. Coconut coir is something else I have been adding to my starter plants and I really like it, just real spendy to try and use in five gallon or bigger pots. This is the same mix that I used last season to grow tobacco plants on my deck and will be using in my self watering units this summer.

Rip: Not sure how much soil for the buckets, but I think I used 2 big bags of good Vegetable Potting soil. Works a lot better than the topsoil or plain potting soil, is a bit heavier, and is made for vegetables, also does not compact down as much. Also, my plants got awful tall and leafy, and the weight of the soil kept them from tipping over. With the bit of sand and screen in the bottom, along woth the drain gholes, I'd water thoroughly at least once a day. It depends on how how it is, and how much sun they get, but on my deck it gets hot in the sun for about 8 hours. Really makes the peppers grow, though. Always did far better than the ones I planted in the ground.

dggubk.jpg

23wjlmx.jpg

It's working, some fine looking peppers there!

I was thinking of using the cheaper topsoil and either mixing with some potting soil or putting potting soil on top. I guess your right about the extra weight keeping them from tipping over. I think I will also look into the potting mix. I just ran out of room in my garden and was looking for options. Also I have had issues with wilt and blight in the past even with rotating locations. I don't have a problem with watering everyday, I have a few rain barrels next to the deck.

I ended up getting two 2 Cu. Yd. bags of Miracle Grow garden soil and one 2 Cu. Yd. bag of Miracle Grow potting mix and mixed them 2/3 garden soil and 1/3 potting mix. Seemed to be a good mixture and it was just enough for ten 5 gallon buckets. I may put a couple inches of mulch on top also.

I used to use mulch on top, and also cedar nuggets, but found out it was a good hiding spot for pepper worms and other bugs that liked munching my plants....ended up leaving the dirt bare. mad

Rebel, do you mean 2 cu ft by chance? 2 yards would be a button load of dirt.

Uh...I never said yds or ft...just "big bags". To me, there's "big bags, and "little bags". grin You must be referring to Rip some Lips post....which, by the way, is looking good! I'm sure he meant "cu ft'.

Some good info on this thread, and will throw in my  new "raised garden" setup. Just put a frame over the ground, added some leaves and grass to the top, next put a few scoops of dirt in a pocket where we would be planting the plants....and plant away. This is a lazy gardners dream......little prep, no till, no weed, and a lot less water and feed.

20150526_204343.jpg

20150526_204231.jpg

20150526_204115.jpg

It is a pretty sweet gig. Biggest key is to have enough yard waste around as you need to keep adding to the beds as it breaks down/ composts throughout the year. Top heavy plants like maters and eggplants  do have to be caged or staked though, since the roots get a little lazy because there is so much nutients and moisture nearby. Maybe not practical for most root crops but ideal for the taters. Been growing taters under leaves and grass for years and what got me thinking about trying it for other veggies. Suppose it is a lot like straw bale gardening....without the bale. On a related side note....am just like a kid waiting for X Mas with the taters this year. Spent a little more, but looking forward to some cool colored mash this fall.

20150527_185530.jpg

20150527_185255.jpg

20150527_185701.jpg

Also had some ambitious plans to start most of my stuff from seed. Along with those fancy potatoes, bought seeds for 7 varieties of fancy tomatoes, 6 different peppers, cool colored brocolli and cauliflower, bunch of those expandable peat pellets to start them in.....uhm...yeah...still sitting in the packs and had to go buy them as well  :)

Well don't feel like the Lone Ranger pb. Got 90 hills of vine crop transplants in last night, finished about 10 p.m. with the lights on the Gator. That's the good news. Still have one more flat to plant. Then the wife should start bringing home crippled packs from the greenhouse. I told her we do not need 36 tomatoes like last year. My guess is there will only be about 35. D'oh! 

That's awsome.  Too bad I don't live closer to your big box store.... would snap them up in a heartbeat.

Seriously though, whenevet possible, vertical is the way to go. Have limited space...... beans, cukes, and some melons...... always go up. Hate squash(except for pies) or would add that to the list.

Edited by pushbutton